This Disappears When Logged In

Rotten Smell

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SomeLizardsInABucket, Dec 18, 2017.

1. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

I left a f/t rat for my python and she didn't eat it. It went bad and now there's a rotten smell. I changed everything and it's still there. The cage is wood, but the rat never touched the wood. Can I spray Lysol in the area to get rid of the lingering smell?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Absolutely Not!
    If the smell is still in the enclosure there is something else in there.
    And if the rat smelled that strongly it was thawed way too long or it was rotten to begin with.

3. Owen Baranoski

Owen Baranoski Well-Known Member

Dude a chemical odor eliminater isn't something that you want to spray in with a living creature... any strong scent really... but especially not a potentially deadly chemical. Good luck finding a solution though, because I can't think of something to take out a scent that's not another scent. You could try aspen bedding, it's very, very absorbent (for eater, anyways), and it might work.

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You could try leaving an open box of baking soda in the cage for a while.
    I had a container of worms for fishing die in my basement fridge and the smell was nauseating, the baking soda took it away completely in less than a week

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Wipe the walls with diluted vinegar water, and let air out. Lysol is harmful so don't use that. But like was said seems like there's probably something in there still.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Best I can recommend is to first, as other have mentioned, double check that there isn't something in the cage still producing the scent. Second, and I hope I'm wrong on this, is the wood not sealed? If not and any fluids from the decaying rat got on it, it could be very difficult to impossible to get rid of the smell without completely tearing the cage down and treating the stinky spot with something. And then the wood will need to be sealed. Again, hope I'm wrong and the woods sealed already.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good point Darkbird. Brings another thought to mind. Is the substrate absorbent? Could fluids from the rat have soaked in?

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Very likely if it didn't get changed.