This Disappears When Logged In

Rodent Bit Or Scratch?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Kayla, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Kayla

Kayla Member

Hi everyone. On Tuesday (8-16-17) it was feeding day for my three babies. I'm having an issue with my spider girl. She is rather tiny girth, weight and strength wise so I bumped her up to two rat pups weekly (she's also a few months shy of 1 year old, approximately 270g and a little longer than 2 feet give or take). She's been on this regimen for about a month now and this past Tuesday things went awry. As she was getting the second one down I noticed a small "spot" about 3 inches down her neck - it wasn't there after she finished with the first one. There was no blood, she doesn't seem like it hurts but we've been cleaning it with warm water and applying a tiny dose of triple antibiotic ointment on it at night. We think as she was constricting the pup, it either got her with it's hind leg or bit her, I'm leaning more towards scratch - the wound is more like a line rather than a circle/puncture. Under the scales it's white. I heard she should make a full recovery after a few good sheds, is this true? Her husbandry is excellent, just switched her subtrate to paper towels, since I use the eco earth coconut fiber subtrate, I didn't want that impacting her wound. I've never had a problem like this and my male is on small rats and my other female is on weaned.... Yes I cried because that's my "baby noodle" lol. I would take a picture of the wound but it's so small that it won't show up.

The pictures show all three of my babies (from left to right: Penelope- pastel butter, Odysseus - pastel ghost and Calypso - spider het caramel albino)

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a fairly normal scratch, absolutely nothing to worry about. In fact, I would stop with the ointment, it can actually damage the scales. And yes the scratch should disappear in a few sheds, exactly how many will depend on how much actual scale damage there was. As long as there is no open wound in the skin everything should be fine. I've had this happen once in a while, though not usually with rat pups, more often with larger rats and my few butt grabbers, the ones that don't seem to care what part of the prey they target. Too excited to eat, lol.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

This is why many (including myself) choose to feed f/t instead of live. I wouldn't worry about using paper towel substrate in this instance, the eco earth will be fine. Just let it heal on it's own you shouldn't have to worry about it.

4. Kayla

Kayla Member

Yea. She gets quite excited when it's feeding time. I've never had this happen with any of mine so I freaked out. And I'm relatively new to the world of ball pythons (got my male in February).
    As far as the ointment goes, I asked for a professional opinion from someone who works at a reptile shop by me and he said to apply it every other night for a week.
    We were only applying that to avoid infection

5. Kayla

Kayla Member

None of them will accept f/t or prekilled for that matter. When I first got my male I tried getting him on f/t... He wanted nothing to do with it and stopped eating for 4 months. With my girls, I at least wanted to try to get Caly (spider) on f/t or prekilled but nope... All 3 prefer live... And the girls were mousers so it was hell trying to transition them to rats

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how long did you try feeding either fresh killed or frozen thawed?
    The "wound" could have been cleaned using adiluted iodine solution @ ten parts water to one part iodine, gently dab once per day and allow to dry.

7. Kayla

Kayla Member

Tried offering once a week for 3 months after that i offered live and I got an excellent feeding response.

And i don't have iodine and the closest store is sold out. The ointment I'm using is oil free. But she will be back in her main enclosure today

8. Kayla

Kayla Member

Another thing.... Even though she has this.... Owwie lol... Would feeding effect her at all? Tuesday is coming up fast and that's feeding day.

9. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Feed her as normal. Just a small scratch won't affect that. There's alot of tricks to get snakes to start on f/t, but now that they're used to live, it would be a lot more difficult.