This Disappears When Logged In

RI and Shedding?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Flint, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

So over the last week Flint has been showing signs of RI again D:
    He just got over it a few weeks ago. Perhaps he never fully got over it.
    His humidity had dropped to 70%ish a few times over the last 2 weeks, so that might be contributing. But its usually 80-95%. He had popping and cracking sounds with every breath, and even a clear discharge in his nostrils. He also refused his f/t fuzzie on sunday. He also had that pre-shed paleness.

Over the last few days I paid extra close attention to his humidity by adjusting his fogger timer and misting as well. So his humidity has been over 90%, 82 degrees F on the warm side, 76 on the cool side.

So today, I come to the studio to try and feed him again and talk to my dad about a loan so I can get Flint to the vet (recent truck problems have left me broke for the month), what do I find? A perfect shed, still wet (21 inches), a beautiful shiny Flint with perfectly smooth skin, no discharge, no popping or cracking noises whatsoever, and not only did he take his f/t fuzzy, he constricted it without me dangling it. The last few times he ate he just bit and swallowed.

I'm still going to get him to the vet ASAP, just to make sure, and I'll try to get a fecal in as well since I haven't done that yet. (He did get the broad spectrum de-worming fluid his first time to the vet) Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this type of thing as well? Could it be the RI symptoms were because his humidity was a little low while he was trying to shed? Did shedding help him fight off the RI? Was the shed a coincidence? Or does he still have RI and the recent shed is somehow hiding it? (I fear the ladder is the most likely)

I guess time will tell. Well.. The vet too. lol

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If I remember correctly (sometimes I don't:eek:) when the skin pulls away from the nostrils it can sometimes sound like an RI (not sure which thread I read it in) I would just keep a close eye on him and listen for any other signs of the RI coming back and when you can afford it take him in for a check up. Just my opinion tho as I don't own a snake.

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Interesting. I've never heard of that, but it makes sense. Thanks shwknight :)

Anyone else seen this sort of thing? I'll be taking him to the vet for sure soon as I can.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sometimes, as they shed, loosening of the scales in the nose can cause the sounds, though I don't know how to account for the discharge, keep an eye out for that.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed, during shedding the scales in the nostril come loose and can "flap" in the breeze!
    I have never heard of any sort of discharge though.
    Of course since part of the shedding process involves fluid building under the skin in preparation to loosen it maybe a little of that is what you saw.
    If it was a RI discharge it would still be there after the shed.

6. Flint

Flint Elite Member

That makes sense, never thought of that. Thanks everyone, I feel a bit better now :)

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the discharge, and post again after the vet visit.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

One other thing to think about regarding the discharge, maybe he just finished drinking and some of the water was dripping out of his mouth. I say this because I have witnessed this on more than one instance. Today for example, my white-lipped python drank a large amount of water and when my wife walked by his cage, he moved his head away and some of the water dripped out. It looked like when someone drinks too much water and then they belch and some of it comes back up. Sounds gross, but could that possibly be what you saw?

8. Flint

Flint Elite Member

This discharge looked like saliva almost, it was clear and slightly bubbling. And it was in his nostrils, I didn't notice anything on his lips, and the forks of his tongue weren't stuck together. (I've read that can be a sign of RI so I'm thinking that's a good sign? lol)

I'll see how he looks tomorrow.

9. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I let him sit for a few days to digest, then took him out for a good 20 min this morning. He looked perfect. Nothing in his nostrils, no sounds whatsoever, skin felt smooth as usual. Still trying to get some money for a check-up, but he seems just fine to me. (of course this money issue means I probably won't have my cage done in time for the Reptile Super Show at the end of this month.. So idk when I'll be getting the ackies lol)

Looks like you guys were spot-on with the shedding nostril thing. Thanks so much everyone!! :D

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm glad he seems to be doing better. I think he's probably just fine.

11. crazyfroglady

crazyfroglady Active Member

My first Rainbow had an RI and we ended up having to take her to the vet. After about $200, I realized the vet was ripping me off. I found a vet that taught me how to do the shots myself, and we assist fed her. After about 6 shots she was putting on weight, no more discharge from the nose, and no more crackling when she was breathing. We switched her to coco as a substrate, covered half her lid in plastic wrap, and have not had a problem with it since. I would most definitly take her to a vet, and find one that will teach you how to do the shots yourself. Just tell them your financial situation and they should understand.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

So far I have been lucky, and never had to deal with an RI in any of my snakes. Or mites *knock on wood* I think I'd get over any needle issues I had real quick if I had one come down with an RI.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I'vde dealt with mites on one occasion, but like you (knock on wood), I have never had a snake with an RI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.