This Disappears When Logged In

Rhino Iguana In Cold Weather?

Discussion in 'Cyclura - Rock Iguana' started by BoggyismyTortoise, Aug 7, 2018.

1. BoggyismyTortoise

BoggyismyTortoise New Member

I am considering purchasing a rhino iguana, I have a great space in my backyard, an 18x18 foot concrete slab I could build anything on. If I build an enclosure there I would have enough space to build an insulated basking room to protect from the cold and enough space for an adult iguana to be completely content, I was also considering putting my russian tortoise in there if there wouldn't be any conflict between the two(gotta do a bit more research on that topic if you have any info on that it'd be great.) The problem is that I live near sacramento, which is in the 90s and 100s in spring and summer but dips down to 30s, 40s, occasionally below 20. I just don't know how much time cooped up in a box that lizard could spend. I do not know if I should also purchase an indoor enclosure for fall/winter or build a large box, or maybe the iguana would be content in there, I really have zero idea. I came to this forum hoping for suggestions, if anybody knows how to build a very large heat room for the iguana that would be awesome. Maybe you have an idea of how to keep these guys outside like this, but I really do not know. Maybe you have information on what I should do. I really appreciate any and all suggestions and would like to state that I am doing my research before I purchase and would never keep the iguana outdoors if that mean't it would suffer, thank you everybody!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hi there. I live in Michigan, so outdoor enclosures are the ones that usually see less use. I would just build an indoor cage if you have the space, won't be as big as the outdoor setup, but it sounds as if it'd only be in that cage for a couple months out of the year anyway. What we generally do for larger lizards is to just build a giant plywood box with appropriate access and viewing areas. To maintain humidity, there is generally little or no ventilation, basking areas are set up according to the needs of the species in question, as is the rest of the decor. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact care for this species, so I'll hold off on giving any specifics on setup, but you can get some ideas from the cage builds posted here.

Lori68 likes this.
  3. BoggyismyTortoise

BoggyismyTortoise New Member

Okay thank you, as I was writing I kind of noticed that an indoor enclosure would most likely be the best option but kept the forum up so people could post whatever, well thanks a lot I am probably going to find an area in my house to do it, we have an empty guest room that will probably work, thanks again!

4. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'd also add that cohabbing a tortoise and an iguana is a bad idea. They come from 2 different climates, not to mention the possibility of injury to either if one decided to see the other as potential food. I'd only ever cohab the same species together if ever doing so.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

While I doubt the two are going to try to eat one another, there is still plenty of potential for injury, probably to the Russian. One of my early mistakes in this hobby was to co-hab my Russian tortoise with my 2 blue tongue skinks to save on cage space. Went fine for several months, then I came home to find the tort's head crushed. I assume there was an "argument" over food, but there was no way to know. And to kind of drive this home, you'll find that even most zoo's won't do this due to all the potential issues. It would however be quite easy to create a corral for the tort separate from the iguana.

Lori68 likes this.
  6. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I have seen my Russian tortoise try to eat anything that resembles food, so anything green or slightly coloured must be tasted. That's where I was going with it

Darkbird likes this.