This Disappears When Logged In

Retic Staying On Warm Side Of Enclosure

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by jaythesnake, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

Hey there I'm new to the forums! I just wanted to get some advice on my retics behavior. I just recently got him he is a dwarf tiger relic only about 2 feet long and I don't know the age. I put him into my tank and after the first couple hours he has was exploring his new surroundings. But now he has settled on the warm side and has not moved for 3 days. I know that when first introducing a python to a new enclosure can be stressful for them and I was wondering if that would be the cause for it. I have a half log as a hide that is on the warm side and then a tuber ware container on the cool side. The warm side has an ambient temperature of 85 and the hotspot is 91, with the cool end being exactly 79. The humidity is also at 75 throughout the enclosure. Any ideas?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the enclosure and say how you`re measuring the temps and humidity? Thanks!

3. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0037.JPG Watched over him last night he has now been in his water bowl all night. I'm using 2 thermostats in each wall and I also have a heat gun to measure all of the surface temps

4. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

And sorry right now I have a towel on the cage to reduce the stress on him from me coming in and out of the room

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I can`t see the enclosure properly, is it a fishtank and is there a part screen top? What type of bulb/other are you using the heat the tank?
    Edit: It looks as if the hygrometer/thermometer is analogue, if yes they can be quite inaccurate (as much as 15% + out) which would mean you/we have no idea what the actual ambient temps and humidity ranges are.

6. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

It is glass and screen. So I'm guessing I'll need to get better hygrometers and thermometers? He has moved now into the water bowl but hasent moved for about 12 hours. I know that the hot spot is accurate though because my heat gun is reading exactly at 91. And sorry for the bad pictures. I have that towel on the front

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You need to cover the top as completely as possible, you will lose heat and humidity through the screen. You haven`t said what type of heat (bulb?) you`re using?
    You can buy a digital hygrometer from either Walmart or Lowes, I believe they cost around $13, that piece of equipment is absolutely urgent. I suspect the snake stays in the water bowl possibly because the ambient temps are too high. What are you using as a basking object and where have you taken the reading of 91f surface temp?
    EDIT: The soil substrate looks very moist, it can cause problems if it gets too damp, there should be a range of humidity (obviously you cannot check this until you get the digital hygrometer).

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

I'm using a 100 watt night time heating bulb. I'm taking the heat gun straight on the hotspot and hitting other areas to see what the temp is. I'll grab a good one tonight at Walmart and I'll keep you posted. And referring to the soil I was also thinking the same thing. When I take a handful and squeeze the soil I get a couple drops of water out of it. I'm not sure if that's too moist. I also have a drain layer to help with that

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You haven`t said what size the fishtank is, also what`s the usual ambient temp in the room (both day and night)?

10. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

40 gallon breeder my room is 70

11. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

70 days and night

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know what a 40gallon breeder measures in inches or cm?
    Where are you measuring the surface temp, I cannot see a basking area as such?
    Can you take a few photos of the whole tank including a top view?

13. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

Currently at work I will take full pictures when I get home. Sorry for the inconvenience.

14. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

The cool end is where he is the hot end is where the log is. Taking the temp of the hotspot on top of the log. The bulbs are fluckers midnight bulb. I have the 100 watt at the hot end measuring 1 foot down to soil. Then on the dual bulb one, I have a 25 watt fluckers in the middle then my uvb bulb for the plants.

Attached Files:

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos. Measuring the surface temp of the log is of no use to the snake unless it actually uses it to bask on, so until you can get accurate measurements of the ambient temps and humidity range there`s not much more that can be done.
    I do think the soil is too moist, it`s also very loose and I`m not sure the snake will benefit from it. The screen will block out a significant amount of UVB and as already mentioned, it will make stabilising the conditions almost impossible.

16. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

Would you recommend two thermometers for each end

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It wouldn`t hurt to buy two hygrometers, although if they have probes attached you can still check different parts of the tank with just the one (nice to have a spare, though).
    If/when you cover the screen you can use kitchen foil temporarily but again you`ll need to accurately measure the conditions.

18. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

Alright last question. Let's say I get the hygrometers and they read the same as my two other hygrometers. Would you still say to keep the new one?

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The digital are normally much more accurate, I personally would throw the analogues away. It`s late over here I need to log out, please keep us updated.

20. jaythesnake

jaythesnake Member

Alright update I got a new hygrometer meter. It is now accurate. Cool side at 78 at night and 80 during day. Hot side has a ambient temp of 85-88 around the constant 92 degree hotspot. Humidity is now now the problem. Hot side at 50 coolside perfect at 75. I have since used my repti fogger and it's now reading at 75 on the hot side now. It now has been even more days and he is still in bowl