This Disappears When Logged In

Researching Retic As A Pet

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Shane144, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Shane144

Shane144 New Member

Hey guys and gals I am new to the forum but in need of some information! Took me a while to find a state side herp forum but I think I found it! Hopefully I do not sound like a creep but the retic was the first snake i ever wanted. Against my mothers judgement at the time she got me a baby ghost corn snake and on thanksgiving last year i got myself a pretty Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Now I am not currently suited to house a snake this large as i live an apartment and will be for the next 9 months.. I have been trying to find someone who owns an adult retic or maybe even a sub adult? I think they are amazing but before i buy the cute 22" long baby I want to be absolutely certain that when it gets to 14 to 24 feet long i will still be comfortable handling an animal of that size.. I would be greatly humbled if someone would allow me to see an animal of that size in person! I reside in oklahoma and i can give more accurate details to whomever is comfortable through PM!

p.s. or on a side note provide info on a breeder who wouldnt mind showing me a larger animal and knowing i wont be buying for some time? (Bob Clark Reptiles doesn't allow visitors to his breeding facility... =( i already talked with him.)

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well I can't really help, but I did want to say I think you are definitely going down the right track with this process. Retics can be a handful and are definitely not for a novice keeper. If you have a local or semi local reptile show, look for anyone selling them there and talk to them, you might find a breeder willing to help you out. Retics are on the top of my list for intelligence in snakes, and it seems most of the ones I've seen handled have the activity level of a cornsnake, and having a second person available for handling sessions is really a must, even if just for safety reasons.

Karma Momma likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's because he has been robbed. Tends to make one gun shy.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There used to be a fellow at Alligator Alley in OKC who was a very experienced keeper of retics. One day he got careless and the snake got his face and sent him to the hospital. These are not animals to be taken lightly