This Disappears When Logged In

Rescued Female Amel Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by medusa1974, Dec 7, 2014.

1. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

I rescued a couple retics about 3 months ago. A 14ft female Amel and an 11ft male supertiger. To start I have plenty of experience with all large snakes (retics,burms,anacondas)
    I brought them in got them in proper enclosures, they were housed together in a cages by design arboreal enclosure. They are in 6x3 enclosures now. I gave them a couple weeks to settle in and destress and tried feeding them. The male supertiger eats like a normal retic (he's a garbage disposal) the female amel won't eat anything!!! They have both been to the vet and given a clean bill of health. I have no background on these snakes. They were left in a ladies garage when her husband left her and she said she had nothing to do with them!!!

Sooooo..... Any ideas from anyone as what to try!!! I've been thru everything FT rats,rabbits,guinea pigs! I've tried live PK FT everything I can think of!!!!!!!! I'm at a loss, I've kept these beautiful creatures for years and never had one go on a hunger strike this long even during breeding I can get them to take small meals!!!!

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas advice or help.

2. jeffk31

jeffk31 Member

Hi there,

First off I'd like to say good for you for rescuing them. Glad to hear they're with someone who knows what they are doing now!

I've kept retics for many years, and have come across several people who encounter similar problems. Only difference is I can usually VERY quickly distinguish critical errors regarding husbandry and/or care. In your case its obviosly a bit more complicated because it sounds like you genuinely have a good understanding of how to keep retics.

Unfortunately, if your temps, substrate, and other husbandry requirements actually are up to par, and you have a clean bill of health from a reputable veterinarian, there is not much that can be done besides be patient.

All of my retics have been undeviating weekly eaters (like garbage disposals as you described) but I have kept other boids that have gone on seemingly everlasting feeding strikes. In particular I remember I had a burm that went over 5 months without taking a single meal i offered.

The only thing you can really do is wait it out. It can be very frustrating, especially knowing it is no fault of your own efforts, but I have never had a snake starve itself to death without having any underlying health issues.

Good luck to you, please keep us posted and let us know if anything changes. Any other questions please let me know, I'm more than happy to help if i can!

3. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

I have no clue about your problem but,

Retics are amazing! Housing 14 foot + reptiles must be expensive and require dedication as big as the snake itself!

4. medusa1974

Thanks Jeff. The one thing I haven't tried and a fellow herp fanatic told me. I always feed in there enclosures, I'm going to try pulling her out and feeding her in a separate tub. As large as she is if the past owner fed her in a separate tub she could be set in her ways, at least it's a shot at something else!

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's worth a shot, I've never been big on feeding out of the enclosure for various reasons but if that's her routine maybe that will trigger her.

Does she show any interest in prey at all, I mean even to investigate it when you put it in?

Only other thing I can think of is leaving some warm (not live) prey in overnight. Or if you're using a hide maybe get her out and put some p/k prey in the hide for her to find. I had a retic who liked to strike and eat from her hide, though that was something she did when she was young.

6. medusa1974

Finally she ate!!! Thanks everyone for your input. Dropped a monsterous live hen in with her and that seemed to be what she wanted!!

7. jknaup

jknaup Member

Have u thought it's the time of the year most people are needing derived now. as long as her bodyweight is good I wouldn't worry

8. jknaup

jknaup Member

She might be stressed with the male I n with he'd just a thought