This Disappears When Logged In

Rescued Brown Snake - Help!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Aisl, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Aisl

Aisl New Member

Hey, I recently brought home a Brown Snake (identified correctly, not to worry) on Christmas Eve. I know taking animals home from the wild isn't always the best idea, but it was hella cold and I didn't want him to freeze to death. (natural order I know but I just couldn't sleep at night if I left him.)

I live in Connecticut, and it was 60 degrees or so the day before, so I think he thought it was just time to come out of hibernation. I brought him home and stuck him in a big plastic bin, (about knee height, little more than two feet by one foot) with sand in the bottom and some leaf litter and sticks from the backyard and a small cap of water.

He perked up that night, named him Eve, and was crawling around in good temper doing his little tongue thing. I looked online to figure out what he ate (slugs and worms and such) and went to ****'s yesterday to pick up something for him to eat. It's still pretty new to his new home, (I'd release him but it's so cold outside, and snowed yesterday) so I figure he won't be eating until he gets settled? But he's looking kind of skinny compared to Christmas Eve and was a little pale yesterday.

I bought Canadian Nightcrawlers? They're enormous and I think he's scared of the suckers, but I sliced a little one into a quarter for him and he still didn't seem to interested. Am I freaking out for no reason, or should I really be concerned? He's still as chipper as before, though he isn't doing his tongue thing anymore.

I unfortunately don't have any heat lamps or anything for him, picking him up on the fly as I did, but I looked online at some care guides and it said that Brown snakes don't really need them or they get toasted? It's nice and warm in my bedroom (and he's not too close to the heater) is it too cold? I unfortunately don't have any way to measure the heat in here, other than the fact it's a lovely room temperature and I'm in a tank top, that's the best judge I have.(high sixties?)

Help!

R7KE9jZ.jpg
    N45UQxQ.jpg

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not certain what problem you are having in relation to this post showing but the link you added worked fine for me. (He sent me a private message for those thinking I am talking to myself.) I wanted to post in the thread to ensure the thread is functioning properly.

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

it wasn't showing any text earlier for some reason. I noticed it too.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It's brumation time for brown snakes. Since he is wild caught, I suggest you lower his temperatures and leave him to rest for the winter. Be sure to provide fresh water for him. He may have been confused by the warm weather or he may have been searching for a better place to brumate while it was warm.

5. Aisl

Aisl New Member

@rich
    Yeah it fixed itself not sure what went down there.

@mshrmheadcharge
    Unfortunately I can't get the temperature down enough to coax him into sleeping. If I put him back outside, what would be a good temperature to wait for?
    And if it's not possible to put him back outside, does anyone know where I can get slugs online? I looked at all my local pet supplies and fishing stores and no one carries them in my area.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hmm. I don't know where to get slugs. Have you tried night crawlers or crickets, or small guppies? How young would you say he is? If he's a yearling its a bit more understandable for him to be confused. I think at this point it's too cold to release him, he wouldn't find a place to overwinter. He may also be too stressed to brumate at this time.