This Disappears When Logged In

Rescued Anole Help Please!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by rescuerefuge, Aug 27, 2018.

1. rescuerefuge

rescuerefuge New Member

Hello i am new here

I work at a petstore and recently had some jerk dump several lizards (in tanks) in our parking lot before tearing off. Amongst the abandoned babies was a single green anole. Because we are a corporate petstore, we couldn't find official homes for them, and the staff each took one home to temporarily house until we can find better places for them. All of the little guys were kept in terrible conditions, unclean tanks that were too small and probably poorly lit, based on the things that were left with them, severely emaciated.

I personally took home the anole, and while I would like to keep her, I am beginning to think I may need to find someone more experienced to take her permanently. She is severely underweight (protruding hips and sunken eyes), and seems to have no interest in food at all. The first few days home, I gave her reptiboost, but when that didnt stim her apetite, I pulped some cricks and syringe fed her the paste mixed with her reptiboost. She's still making solid poops, but I've left her alone since the day before yesterday to adjust to her new habitat in case the adjustment is stressing her. I think she is trying to shed, but I'm worried to stress is too much for her little malnourished self!

currently housed in 10gallon tank which I keep between 75 at night and 85 day with a basking spot around 90. I mist her twice a day at least, sometimes more if her hydrometer reads below about 60, she has a shallow water dish, rainforest floor (coconut), and moss for humidity. Large log for climbing (its her favsies!) and two small plants for hiding it, one high one low. She also has a small mound for climbing. Lamps are an infrared (im not sure of the size or wattage, its what was in her hood, but keeps her at a good temp), and 5.0 13w UVB reptisun. I measure her temps at top and bottom, and a hydrometer at the bottom. I am definitely having trouble keeping her humidity up, so I could use advice on that as well as how to generally keep her eating. I am seriously considering adding a drip system to keep her humidity up, at least until this shed is done, because I have seen her nose rubbing at trying to drink off the walls, but I work all day and obv can't bring her with me to keep her damp. Opening the tank reg stressed her so I don't want to have to keep adding more moister that way.

Because I rescued her under such odd conditions, I do not know how old she is, and because she was kept in such poor conditions, I can't tell if she's young and malnourished and stressed, or older and definitely female (im 99% positive she's female, she has all the traits and no anal scales). I can't upgrade her tank right now, but I can change her lights or substrate or food source.

tl;dr i have had unwilling parentage thrust upon me by way of green anole. I feed her tiny crickets and mist her. I did all the stuff the care sheet told me and the brat won't shed or eat.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well first off, thanks for trying at least. I suspect though that too much damage may have been done already, but we'll see. First, I guessing you have a screen top on that tank, so the first step is to cover it as completely as possible. It might be a good idea also to cover the back and sides with brown paper or something just as a visual block to make it feel more secure. Most of the anoles I kept vastly preffered to drink droplets off plant or cage sides, so no surprises there. A cheap automatic mister would be really useful if you can lay hands on one, as I suspect with such a small cage and fixtures sitting on top you not going to be able to seal the screen up too well. Regular misting would both help humidity and give extra drinking opportunities. As for feeding, hopefully it's appetite will come back on its own. Force feeding does almost more harm than good most of the time, as the stress is extreme. Maybe try offering some other prey, small mealworms in a dish left in the cage might give it a chance at something easy to catch that can be had while your not watching. Or even leave some of the crickets in there while your gone, a small piece of carrot or apple will assure they leave the lizard alone.

3. rescuerefuge

rescuerefuge New Member

Thanks for the help! I have a small dish where I have four of the tiniest supers I can find (we are a small town and the only pet store around, trying to decide if it is worth waiting for meal worms to come in the mail or not), and today bought some dried flies that are marketed as "anole food" on the off chance that whoever was feeding her before was giving her the most basic of food sources. From where I am sitting, I have watched her inch towards one of the flies ever so cautiously and she has turned from dark brown to a light tan, so I'm guessing she's a little more used to this. I gave her around six crickets the first day, and most of them are still there, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My roommate has a water dragon, so I've been using her pump mist'r. Definitely going to try taping a background to her tank as she doesnt seem to like it when people walk near her at all. I do know that she might not make it, but I'm hoping at the very least, I can make her last few days more comfortable than what she had before.

4. Darkbird

I'm sure you've already improved the anoles situation. The background should help as well, make sure you do the sides too.

5. rescuerefuge

rescuerefuge New Member

Good news! I gave her some more crickies last night, and as of this morning, there are definitely fewer! I wouldn't yet say that she is thriving or out of the woods, but she is definitely doing a little better! The brown paper helped a lot with making her more comfortable. Thank you so much for the advice!

6. Darkbird

Glad to hear it's eating something on its own, which is a great sign. And I agree, still needs watching, but usually getting a reptile to eat on its own is the biggest hurdle.