This Disappears When Logged In

Rescue! Need Advice

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Yoitewolf, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Yoitewolf

Yoitewolf Active Member

I rescued a juvenile green iguana. She was in a make shift cage that used to be a entertainment center that was half her size, with a juvenile male. She is all but skin and bones and has weird growths on her. He people didn't have a uvb light on her or a heat bulb. They were feeding iceberg lettuce and day old carrots.

Attached Files:

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh gosh she looks miserable. Please tell me you have a vet visit scheduled!

In the mean time I'd try a warm soak and see if that effects the bumps, I've never seen anything like that.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That animal needs to be seen by a vet NOW! Just from the photos I can see extreme.ly malnourished and probably dehydrated, what looks like a possible burn as well as gout in the back knee. As for the stuff on the neck I have NEVER seen anything like that on an iguana!

4. Yoitewolf

Yoitewolf Active Member

Yes, I plan on taking her to the vet on Monday! I rescued her for that reason! I couldn't leave her in that home!

5. Moshpitrockchick

I'm willing to bet you have a LONG and very expensive road ahead of you. Has she eaten for you?

I wouldn't over do it too much to begin with, but if she's not seeming too stressed by the change a little bit of time in the sun, a lot of fresh water (mixing in carrot/squash baby food or even pedialyte will sometimes give some extra nutrients and encourage them to drink) and a ton of attention should do wonders.

Also I'm not sure how you are housing her right now, but I would avoid a cage with any height to it, in her state climbing (and falling) could be tragic.

Even if she is too far gone, kudos to you for getting her out of that terrible environment.

6. Yoitewolf

Yoitewolf Active Member

Thank you so much for your advice, I have her in a large but not tall cage right now. She is eating a drinking for me and seems fairly healthy (in that manner) is just her outward appearance and such. The thing on her neck seems to be a over her skin but I'm not sure, I am taking her into the vet on Monday

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the growths on the neck may be a fungal infection. I would recommend keeping the temps slightly raised for the time being (day and night).
    Do you have any photos of the whole enclosure?

8. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I can understand misinformation.
    I can understand pet store lies.
    I can understand just plain old ignorance.

But how on Earth can someone let their animal deteriorate to that state? It's just mind-boggling. The prior "caretakers" should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves... I hope you can fix her up.

9. Yoitewolf

Yoitewolf Active Member

It has been two days and she is already looking so much better! I have taken her to the vet and they said that she had stuck shed that was never taken care of and it caused a bacteria infection across her whole body. They gave me some antibiotics and a few other things. I will put up more photos as she progresses in her health.

TamJam and CrazySnakeLady like this.
  10. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I hope she gets better
    goodluck to you!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are you currently housing it?

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I have seen a lot of similar young neglected green iguanas and this is the worst case by far. It is amazing that she is still alive.
    I think that Pedialyte by mouth (use a syringe or dropper - no needle!) would be a good idea. If she is still eating (a miracle!!!) make sure that whatever she is given is of a very high nutritional value for iguanas. Don't waste time and food space by giving her anything but the very best, such as collard and mustard greens, broken into small bits and moistened with spring water, and make sure she has the correct UV light.

The very best of luck to you with this tragic little creature.

13. Yoitewolf

Yoitewolf Active Member

She has passed away Wednesday.

14. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

15. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I am so sorry that she was much too far gone when you got her, to survive at all anyway. She was loved and cared for at the end, so you can feel good about doing your best to save her. Thank you!

We humans have so much to answer for when it comes to our treatment of innocent animals. Perhaps some comfort and hope can be realised when we consider the really caring and trying people that are also out there!

People like you.

16. Moshpitrockchick

I know it is rough to lose an animal, but thank you for making her final days comfortable. You likely showed her more compassion than she had seen the rest of her life.