This Disappears When Logged In

Rescue Boa, Possible Injury? Help.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by snakemomGLHS, Sep 18, 2018.

1. snakemomGLHS

snakemomGLHS Member

We rescued Severus about 3-4 weeks ago now. We are just starting to handle him more. Tonight I saw this and am worried maybe he was injured when he got caught. The first guy that found him had a shovel and hated snakes. Very worried he used the shovel on him. He doesn't mind me touching it. He is getting ready to shed and he hasn't eaten yet. I offered him food the 2nd week but he was uninterested. He is 6ft long and weighs 6.8lbs

Attached Files:

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

Does he move oddly and seem to favor that one side like its sore? I can't really think of anything that stands out as odd, and since I'm not a vet and I have never dealt with snakes and fractured ribs/injuries from blunt trauma/etc...I'd say wait until after he's finished shedding to see how it looks. If there is still some type of indent, take him to the vet to get an xray to be sure. It is not uncommon for snakes to go off food when in shed, sometimes they go off food for no reason at all either. There is no need to worry about his appetite at all just yet. Once he does shed, please take a few pics and post them. He looks really pretty and that just shed look is pretty damn sexy on a snake :)

snakemomGLHS likes this.
  3. snakemomGLHS

snakemomGLHS Member

It's more a knot than indention. It doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. He is the calmest snake we have. I can pet the top of his big head and he just wants to snuggle on me for hours. I can't wait to see what he looks like once he sheds, though I am concerned this one may be rough considering how he came to us. I am hoping to give him a good loving home.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Only way to know for sure would be take to the vet for an exam and x-ray. As long as the humidity in the enclosure is suitable the shed should come off cleanly.

snakemomGLHS likes this.