This Disappears When Logged In

RES green feeding and questions

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Dan01, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I don't have a red eared slider , but my friend does. He is being raised on pellets and dried shrimp. I'm guessing his shell is about four inches long and he is in a 20 gallon long, filled about half way with water. The basking spot is I don't know hot, and I know he doesn't either, the same with water temps and air temps.
    I'm no expert with turtles, but I'm sure that this isn't completely correct. Any input?
    And how are greens usually offered to turtles in a fully aquatic setup? (with a basking platform, of course)
    If your wondering why I'm the one inquiring about this, well...he's just that type, I guess. I mean I was the one who cleaned the turtle tank last time I was around.
    It's kind of frustrating hearing him talk about all the reptiles he wants when the one he has hasn't eaten for a week because he ran out of commercial pellets!
    But about the question; I'd appreciate more for my friends turtle than anything else for input!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, here's how I keep mine: basking site 90-100, they actually have a bit of a range with how I set them up. Water temp around 78. I use a self ballasted mecury vapor bulb for basking to give them UV, and I habe another light for ambient. Diet is as varied as I can manage, mazuri pellets, assorted insects, greens, even some rodents. Fish and whatnot as is available. As for the greens and how I feed, they mostly get a mix of collard, turnip, and mustard, which is chopped and just thrown in. They browse on them at their leisure.

TamJam likes this.
  3. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Another question. Res are all over the place around here, and I was wondering what would be needed in a year round outdoor setup (I'm assuming one would be appropriate where I live). Summer temps rarely get as hot as 115 F and winter almost never gets as low as -10 F. How do turtles deal with ice all over the top of their ponds? Thanks.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well in the wild they burrow into the mud when it gets too cold. They basically just shut down.

5. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

So how does an outdoor setup calculate into all of this? An all water set up, like a large tub, wouldn't work, would it.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I have a small pond mine stay in outdoors during the summer, and a large stock tank in my basement for winter. Hibernating them isn't necessary for good health, and if conditions got too extreme in winter, you might lose them if the setup is not absolutely perfect.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I think you should adopt your friend's turtle. You obviously would do a better job, even in the caring department!

8. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

He loves his turtle too much to give him up, which is odd as he doesn't seem to care about him enough to give him the propper care. I don't quite get it.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hate to say it but maybe you should just stop doing for this guy. People like that tend to be "takers". As long as you keep giving, they keep taking. Or maybe you need to just tell him flat out, if he doesn't want to feed and take care of his animals, then he shouldn't own them. Sorry to be harsh, but if he doesn't care enough to do the maintenance then he really doesn't care that much. Or he might just need someome to call him out on it.

DragonSlayer likes this.
  10. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Well, I've told him. He gets very touchy and ignores me or changes the subject. He knows what he should be doing, but he doesn't do it. But turtles aren't everything.

11. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I know this thread is kind of old but that statement "...but turtles aren't everything..." sounds so strange. Are you making excuses for this irresponsible pet owner? Is this a shrug and "I give up on this now"? I agree that turtles are not everything. Nothing is everything, but everything is something.

Guess I must be bored today.

12. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Rephrase. "Turtles aren't eternally important."