This Disappears When Logged In

Reputation Points

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Rae, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I don't see how post count or membership length has anything directly to do with experience. As for referrals...who's providing them? Again, it must be someone...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It should be the admins that tag a post as valid information or complete lunacy. Then the reputation points would be based off the admins opinions (hopefully they are knowledgeable and not complete quacks)...this would be the least prejudicial way atleast in theory.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know! I was just throwing out ideas of how it *COULD* be being determined right now. I know you can program anything, so maybe there is a script determining it?

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

In my defense. I fall into at least one of those categories.

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Unfortunately, any time opinions are involved, there's always room for bias.

I'm thinking this is a question that Rich will need to get involved in to clarify.

I think the idea of labelling anything as "experience points/reputation" is a bit misleading, especially if (and this is IF) it is based on something arbitrary such as number of posts, length of time as part of the forum, or even likes given. It ultimately tells you nothing about that person, other than they either post a lot of have a lot of friends.

One idea I do like - and this is based on a couple forums that I frequent - is the option of a "Thanks" button. It's different than the "like" button as it shows that the information provided was useful, rather than just interesting or "ooh, pretty pictures!". Then under the person's profile or avatar info, the number of thanks they've been given is listed. To me, this is a much better indicator of a person's ability and willingness to help - which I think are more important than just their level of knowledge or experience, although they can go hand in hand.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

I think when I first joined the site they did have a thanks feature for a little while.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha Don't get me wrong, I'm not interrogating you or anything--it just seems like a very odd/arbitrary way to rate someone's 'experience', which is overly general in itself :D

On another note, does anyone know what the rest of the achievements mean (i.e. "recommendation class", "tagger class") and whether or not there is some sort of key available? I also noted that some things, like enclosures, are rated...who rates them?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have an "overdrive" award...I think it means I talk too much. And is the enclosure rating based on number if views? Or maybe rich does it.

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

LOL, that's awesome.
    Rich said it's automated. So it calculates it's own results.
    No human input.
    Funny hows it picked up on you ;)

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sheesh even computers are telling me to shush!...
    Wonder what the parameters are on the calculations .

12. justor

justor Elite Member

It's probably got something to do with your average posts per day. I have just under three posts per day, and that seems to be about average from what I've seen. You on the other hand... have 17 posts per day. I think that's what it's about haha.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So you agree I talk to much!!!
    Or more likely I have no life so I post while bored at work...

14. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

:-" .....

15. justor

justor Elite Member

You just have a lot to say... nothing wrong with that. ;)

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Been following these threads without adding anything but you all make me laugh!! You're all okay in my book! ;) LOL