This Disappears When Logged In

Reputation Points

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by Rae, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Not sure if you are familiar with FrogForum.net but it is a similar site but has this cool REPUTATION option.

/I'm really bad at explaining things but it is worth looking at. It helps members know you is knowledgable on the site. It is completely different than just liking a post or thanking someone.... it is only clicked when someone post accurate and helpful information. You can also take away rep if someone is posting dangerous or inaccurate info or causing issues.

I always look at a persons Rep when they answer my questions as I feel I can trust and rely on those with more REP bars under there name.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If you check out someones profile, you will see a column for experience points.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

We try whenever possible to keep an eye on specific advice that is given.
    That is if one of the mods is experienced in the topic at hand. But I can see how that might be useful. You never really know who is giving the advice.
    We've had supposedly knowledgeable 'new' members show up that wanted to feel important by giving advice and not having any experiences whatsoever.
    Any advice given on any site should be taken with a grain of salt and compared to other sources before believing it as fact.
    I tend to listen to those that have shared their experiences and you can see what they have accomplished or learned.

You can listen to me. I have a PHD diploma in applied Zoology and a doctorate in Reptile Biology.>:)

This is a pic of one of my setups in the basement. :-"
    1463-101676.jpg

4. kriminaal

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Too funny.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. kriminaal

Hmm, maybe because he's banned.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

hahaha...nice.

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

But what are these points based on...?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think it was. But I kinda remember him posting. Oh well some people are just dumb.

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I remember that guy. Haha that was hillarious.

I just noticed the experience points myself. Huh. What are those based on. I like to listen to the advice I know will be good. New people wouldn't know if its Charles Manson or a reptile vet lol. However, I am missing a few people. I haven't seen any of them on here lately. :(

11. iRene

iRene Elite Member

It has been my experience that the reputation function on forums are easily disrupted by members who carry personal grudges. I find it is better to seek advice and then do your own research to confirm it.

12. mshrmheadcharge

I do not know what the points are based on. :)

13. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Yay, arbitrary points! ;)

I have seen that as well. And - for the forums I've been on that have a rep points system, just because someone has a high reputation does not mean they are all-knowing when it comes to every reptile up for discussion. They may be very experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to monitors for example, and as such, will be given a high rep by those who value their insight on that particular topic. However, they may know very little about bearded dragons, so any advice they give may not necessarily be accurate, so basing your decisions on what they have to say simply because they have high rep could be detrimental to you.

iRene said it best - seek advice, and as many sources of advice as you'd like, but then do your own research. And don't be afraid to call someone on something they've said if you've heard/read conflicting info and ask them to provide experience/evidence supporting their opinion. The point of this forum and any forum is to help others, learn, and become more experienced, and whether you've been in the hobby for one month or 20 years, there's always room for growth.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

The points are basically a popularity contest. :)

And I remember that guy too, and trying to explain what herping is to him. New Mexico has the greatest diversity of herps in the US outside of Florida. Having the experience "points" he claimed to, without the grasp on basic vocabulary or a basic familiarity of extremely common herps where he claimed to live screamed "LIAR."

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Haha exactly ;)

16. kriminaal

Hey I don't have a clue either. But I'll find out what they're linked to.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds rather High Schoolish to me!

18. mshrmheadcharge

Its not really a popularity contest since we have zero control over points given.

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

But someone must...if it were automated it would defeat the purpose of the experience system, right?

20. mshrmheadcharge

Not if it is based off of how long you have been a member, how many posts you have as well as referrals? I guess what I am saying is it should be directly related to how much knowledgeable information you contribute to the site and how much experience you have. Not based off of weather or not somebody likes the information you give them. That would be too much drama and leave much room for error :)