This Disappears When Logged In

Reptiles In The Future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GitaBooks, Sep 29, 2015.

1. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

Just thought I would bring this up and see what people had to say. I think its really interesting to study the domestication and keeping of animals, its what I hope to get my degree in, so I've done a lot of research.

So often everything in reptile breeding is about right now. Can I develop the best colors now? Can I develop the coolest patterns? While colors and patterns are AWESOME, don't get me wrong, this is what happened to so many other species during domestication.
    Domestication is the process of genetically changing an animal to suit human needs. They are more tame, come in a variety of colors and shapes, and often are more productive. They also usually breed all year round (instead of seasonally). Taming is just an animal raised to be friendly.

The only reptile I would consider domesticated is the Corn Snake, while some others are Semi-domesticated (in the process of being domesticated), such as Ball Pythons and Leopard Geckos.

While registries with other species are a REAL PAIN to work with, since it takes so much paperwork and sending it in and transferring, ect, I think it is important that we pay attention to what we do in the future. We don't need to register reptiles (cause its a TON OF WORK), we should breed for health first (a hardy, healthy animal breeds better, lives longer, and cost less to keep), and after that pay attention to selecting for tame animals (but still energetic, not lazy) as well as awesome colors and patterns.

It has been proven it only takes 35 generations to fully domesticate an animal as much as a dog selected for thousands of generations. Its a ton of fun to study and think about, that once we get a large enough population of animals (to prevent inbreeding) we can completely domesticate reptiles and not make the mistakes made with other animals that lead to things like hip problems in dogs, ect.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments, because it really excites me to think about what we can do now and in the future.

Thanks for reading my long post. : )

ferasaeva likes this.
  2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

The thought of reptiles being domesticated is just crazy (in a good way). I would love too see it happen.

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

I know, its so exciting. : )