This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icy, Jan 19, 2018.

1. icy

icy New Member

Sup guys so I'm planning on having a reptile store for a very long time (since I was 10 honestly lol). I've been wanting to actually have a store after my 4 year contract is finished for the army. I'm not shipped yet but I will soon. I can't setup an online business because I wouldn't have enough space in my room.
    I already have my plan set up for the store.
    Would $30,000 be good to open up one? Includes rent of the facility, enclosures, food (rats,mice, etc), lighting, heating mats, heating lights, bowls, etc. I wont sell Reptiles i would personally want in the store because that'll not be really good.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Too be honest, reptile stores is a really risky business. Most new stores don't last the first year. The competition from online as well as expos is rough.
    You are going to need a good bit of capital, not only for the initial setup, insurance etc. But also enough to pay the bills for a few months while you get established.
    Not trying to discourage you. Just give something to think about.

3. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I think that would depend on your location, since rents vary quite dramatically by location, even within the same city. I have heard that a good rule of thumb for a brick and mortar business is to set aside enough to be able to operate for at least 6-12 months without turning a profit since most businesses fail within the first year. I was considering the same thing for a bit, but there are 3 other reptile shops within 30 minutes drive of me, so I am going to see if breeding and/or selling online might work for me. Oh and the articles below might help you get a better idea on whether or not $30k is enough for your startup. Depending on where you are starting, up and how big of a storefront you will have $30k may be a good amount to start, or you may need to get a business loan to supplement it.

How to Calculate Leasing Store Costs

How to Estimate the Cost of Starting a Business from Scratch | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I have a few friends who have retail stores and a few who choose not too. To be blunt, I don't see any way you'll have a chance with only 30k as a startup budget. Even tiny retail spaces tend to have a lease that is 1500 a month or more, so the lease alone would kill your budget in less than a year. And the above 6-12 months without profit is optimistic in my opinion, more like 12-18. You have to establish a reputation to be able to compete, and that takes a while. And you won't be able to order the volumes required to get your stock directly from the importers, so you will be buying it from dealers and breeders at the local shows for the most part, at least at first. To give you a realistic idea, a buddy of mine who is a local dealer, with no storefront and little online presence so far, dropped 20k on stock before last month's local show. He hits several shows a month in the region, is moving animals constantly, but still has to work a regular job part time because the actual profit from the critters won't pay the bills.
    Now believe it or not, I'm not saying you shouldn't try this. I'm just trying to give you a realistic idea what you may be getting into. One of my friends who owns 2 retail stores, has told me there is no way he would start another one now. Too much outlay to get established, and no guarantee once you are. So do the research for your market carefully to make sure you'll at least have a chance. And if I was to give any positive advice, buy a building if at all possible. At least the payments would then be going to something you'll have rather then just filling someone else's pockets.

Atroxus likes this.