This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile room being built! What animals should i get??? [please help!]

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by SebsExotics, May 27, 2014.

1. SebsExotics

SebsExotics Member

I am converting my "fish room" which used to house 30+ fish tanks into a reptile room (with a few fish tanks in it.)
    Anyways, the main attraction will be my custom built 6x3x3 argentine tegu enclosure. I think it will be big enough. He will be out of the cage for long periods of time as i am a film making student. While i am in the room editing videos he can be out. Buting him as a baby.

I also will be moving my custom 43"x27" guinea pig enclosure in. It has a secure lid and will be on top of tegu cage so he can not eat her.

I also have my 75 gallon bearded dragon pair.

But now i have TONS of tanks to fill. It has always been a dream to have tons of reptiles and it is finally gonna happen!

Here are the tanks i have to use:

10 gallon
    10 gallon
    10 gallon
    10 gallon
    10 gallon
    20 gallon long
    20 gallon long
    29 gallon
    30 gallon long
    30 gallon Xtra tall hexagon
    55 gallon

Animals i am 100% GETTING are:
    1x pacman frog (10 gallon)
    1x blizzard leopard gecko (10 gallon)

ANIMALS I AM CONSIDERING:
    2 giant Day geckos as a display with a tetrafauna viquarium waterfall i already have. (29 GALLON)
    Group of 2 or 3 sandfish skinks (20 LONG)
    Some type of small moniter in the 55 GALLON (maybe timor moniter???)

WHAT MONITER WOULD YOU RECCOMEND FOR THE 55 GALLON???
    (Preferably handleable.)

Also what so you think about the tank sizes i listed???

And WHAT OTHER REPTILES DO YOU RECCOMEND FOR THE OTHER TANKS???
    [NO SNAKES. I LOVE THEM BUT MY MOM SAYS THEY ALL GET OUT AND WILL NEVER ALLOW IT]

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i would honestly not buy all of these within a short period of time, maybe over a few years as you will need to get these habitats stable before you get any of these animals and how are you going to support all of these being a student? do you have a suitable income coming in besides loans or grants? i just want to know you will be able to take proper care of all of these animals you are wanting to acquire.... i see a lot of these posts like this and it is usually impulsive buyers and i honestly think you need to take the time and study each animal and learn their habitat needs and care needs and get the habitat set up and running and get them stable and see if you can care for each animal and afford to care for them before you get another and i honestly think the guinea pig should be housed in a separate room as your reptile room can be to hot and humid for it to live there (just my opinion). and aquariums are not good for the majority of reptiles as it is harder to hold heat and humidity properly, custom wooden enclosures are much better and way more cost efficient........

3. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I would skip the monitor unless you want to build another large cage. There are very few that could live in a 55 gallon permanently. That being said, fish tanks aren't well suited for monitors even if you found a species that would fit. Timors aren't very big but they would still outgrow a 55 gallon.

If you set up these tanks in a display fashion it will certainly end up looking great.

4. Fraek

Fraek Member

I am not to date on my reptile research, so please read with a grain of salt and do your own research.

Not many reptiles can stay in a 10 gallon their whole life and that's a lot of 10 gallons. I would not have as many of those and get larger cages. The Exo-Terra terrariums are pretty cool and come in a variety of sizes. You could also build your own cages.

I don't know of any monitors that can stay in a 55g, but a blue tongue skink can and skinks are pretty cool.

Crested geckos don't need a large cage (still more than a 10g though), are pretty hardy, "easy" to care for and are able to be held. You could also make them an awesome vivarium with live plants.
    Tokay geckos are super pretty and "easy" to care for but tend to bite really hard.

Emerald swifts are attractive but I am pretty sure they need at least a 30 gallon and lots of vertical climbing room and don't like being handled all that much.

If you have nice looking cages, then it will look great.

I agree with jaydsr2887 about the guinea pigs. I would research that before deciding to keep them in there. It does get rather hot and humid in reptile rooms. And if they do end up being in there, keep an eye on their behavior as you add more heat lamps and full cages.

When I was first getting into reptiles I would look through the kingsnake.com classifies and do a *ton* of research any animal that I thought looked interesting.

I recommended doing a *ton* of research before getting any animal. I also tend to stay away from the minimum size cage. I have two leopard geckos in a 48 inch by 22 inch cage with lots of hiding spaces and they crawl all other that thing. I also have to feed them separately, which is something to keep in mind if you have more than one lizard in a cage.

Good luck!

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

My honest opinion is that it sounds like you are going to get in way over you head hear, but if your serious, start by selling most of the fish tanks and use the money to build proper caging. You might be able to use a couple 20s for the frog and gecko, but thats really it. There are no readily available monitors that can live in a 55 for any real length of time, and I would honestly say that your tegu will really need at least an 8×4×4 to have enough room. You can't base the cage size on how much you might have it out. My best advice for you would be to take it slow, do a ton of reasearch beforehand, and only get one animal at a time. Then spend a month or 2 making sure you have a handle on taking proper care of it before moving on to the next project. And either ditch the guinea pig, or find a different location for it, ignoring the heat and humidity, it probably won't be having much fun staring at a room full of potential predators all day long.

6. SebsExotics

SebsExotics Member

guys, i can 100% handle the animals. I at one time had 20+ fish tanks in the room including 2 180 gallons.

anyways, i am not buying all animals at once! never was going to.

so far this is what i am looking at for my eventual stock. please feel free to criticize or tweak it.

48x24 bearded dragon pair [ALREADY DONE]
    6x3x3 custom tegu enclosure
    10 gallon pacman frog
    10 gallon leopard gecko (maybe 20 gallon my moms old female lived for 13 years in a 20...)
    10 gallon tiger salamander
    20 gallon long 3x sandfish skinks
    30 gallon long yellow uromastyx
    55 gallon blue tongue skink

7. aknott

aknott Active Member

Fish tanks compared to a slew of reptiles is a bit different in my opinion.

Reptiles require lots of care & close attention. Especially in the beginning. In order to optimize care & time for these guys, I would advise accruing these animals over time, and not overwhelm yourself.

Not trying to be negative, or doubt you, but your full attention will be needed to say the least. Good luck!

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah, it usually takes close to a couple months to get the correct and constant humidity and heat especially in a fish take as there will be alot of bugs and alot of tweaking of the thermostats, humidifiers, and cages depending on the species, and alot of these tweaks in the enclosure you will need to do continuously to maintain the proper atmosphere within the enclosure or in your case enclosures..........

9. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Buy 1 boa and 10 boa enclosures... the addiction hits quick ;)

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, with that collection of fish tanks, you could hose a large number of fire-bellied toads. or fish.

What you currently have is not well-suited for most herps.

I would not advise housing any adult monitor in a 55. Most monitors are not suitable for handling - they can be easily stressed, flighty, or aggressive. Some calm down to it, and some never do.

a 30 gallon tank is totally inadequate for a uromastyx. Because of the extreme heat they require, it will be almost impossible to get a proper gradient in that tank.

Just because you *can* cram a leopard gecko into a 10 gallon tank, does not mean you *should*. You need to put the welfare of the animal above your desire to own said animal.

Going to put it bluntly: Fish tanks are for fish. I think someone else already mentioned selling them to buy building materials to make reptile-friendly tanks.

11. EriksExotics

I agree with Dragoness.

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah most herps will get stressed with seeing their reflections in those fish tanks and will cause damage to themselves while getting territorial and trying to fight their reflections..... it is recommended to build custom enclosures for reptiles.... you can probably get away with the pac man frog or tiger salamander in an appropriate tank but thats about it....... but it is cheaper and more cost efficient in the long run to build custom enclosures out of wood and glass, as they will hold (if sealed properly) the heat and humidity alot better then the aquariums..... and your animals will feel alot more secure and happier as you can build them to the appropriate sizes or bigger they need.....

13. IWantReptiles

IWantReptiles Well-Known Member

Here is what I would do...

1st 10 Gallon: Leopard Gecko
    2nd 10 Gallon: Leopard Gecko
    3rd 10 Gallon: Your Pacman Frog
    4th 10 Gallon: Blizzard Leo!
    5th 10 Gallon: Fish Tank (IDK, put whatever you want)
    1st 20 Gallon: Whites/Dumpy Tree Frog
    2nd 20 Gallon: Red Eyed Tree Frog
    29 Gallon: Sandfish Skinks (Yeah, 29 might be better for them)
    30 Gallon: Your Day Geckos
    30 Tall: Veiled Chameleon (Might not be the best tank.)
    55 Gallon: Bearded Dragon

14. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I wouldn't put leopard geckos in a 10 gallon tank, not even one. I house mine in a 20 gallon with tile, rocks, and custom made hides. The gecko has 4 different hides to choose from (warm, middle of tank, cool side and humid) as well as basking areas and other stuff to climb on. I just upgraded from a 15 gal but I'm already considering going up to a 30 gal. (although she fits quite well in the 20 gal with all her stuff) I'll note she's never had a problem with attacking the glass or anything but I actually generally have stuff around all of the outer edges (fake plants, rocks, etc)

In my opinion not even a school of fish should be housed in a 10 gallon. Maybe 1 betta on its own.

15. Scaleyball

Scaleyball New Member

10 gallon is fine for leopard gecko, people need to stop criticizing so much. Fish tanks aren't the best for reptiles but it works.

16. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

But they do not maintain heat or humidity well and it will cut the animal's life span....

17. EriksExotics

Glass tanks are very poorly insulated and therefore make maintaining humidity and heat a hassle. on top of that, the airflow in a tank is poor. that's why people are not supposed to keep terrestrial animals such as reptiles and rodents, etc in them. Rodents can get respiratory infections easily just from being kept in fish tank because the only ventilation is on the top so fresh air can't get in easily. That's why professional reptiles enclosures and rat cages, etc are all ventilated on the sides (such as the rodent cages that have bars on all sides). No one was critizing, it's just that fish tanks are for fish for a reason. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014