This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile Mites on People?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Katsura, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Hey guys, sorry if this in located in the wrong place, but I got a kinda serious question I gotta ask you all.

A while back I was having issues with mites harassing my ball python, Moose. We got the problem taken care of as fast as we could, and we haven't seen any mites for awhile now.

The question I have, is can reptile mites affect humans too? My boyfriend has had an issue with bites and insane itching for months now and hasn't been able to find the source of it. And I'm starting to have the same issues.

My boyfriends' brother looked into it and says he thinks it might be the reptile mites. Doesn't make sense because none of our snakes have them anymore, but I'm kind of at a loss...

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Have you had your furniture checked for bed bugs? You should call in an exterminator to do a check of your house. I haven't heard of reptile mites cross transferring but it isn't impossible. One thin you can do to serif it helps is vacuum then steam clean your bed, couches and chairs. Any pillows or anything small enough should go in the freezer for an hour or two.
    Or it could be fleas! Have your cats or dogs been itchy?

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Mites!

Mites cannot transfer from herps to people

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptile mites are species specific. While they might walk on you they will not colonize on you.

5. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

I know it's not bed bugs because of how the bites look, and it's not fleas because we haven't seen any. Our cats aren't itchy, and we often vaccuum and steam the bed itself as well as wash the bedding.

And yeah, that's what I thought. It didn't make much sense for it to be reptile mites. Thanks for confirming guys :)

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Your'e welcome! Is your BF the only itchy one?

7. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

No. He's had this problem for a few months now. I moved in the other week and I'm starting to have the same issues he is, though less severe.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Is there a rash or more like small sores?

9. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Even though you can be almost positive it is not fleas or bed bugs, it may still be some kind of mite, or even mite larvae, such as chiggers. I remember one time while fishing I picked up some chiggers, ended up putting my dirty clothes on the end of my bed. After that, it took nearly a month to treat/get rid of them.

10. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Chiggers, huh? Maybe. What did you do to get rid of them? And they're more like small sores. They get worse when you itch them.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What about human mites!

12. gapeachkatie

That sounds like chigger bites. Is there a bright red center to the sores with possible dime/nickle size welts near them? If that is the case, just wash every piece of clothing and bedding in HOT water with a good detergent, vacuum really well getting all the little hiding places with the hose attachment, and then you can either purchase a chemical spray for the mattress/pillows, or make a diluted vinegar solution to spray everything down with. Vinegar helps take the itch out of the bites and will kill most mites and their larva.

13. Genko

Genko Elite Member

It could be chiggers, and they will drive you insane. I have gotten them before, several times, while camping and fishing. Put a SMALL amount, like a CAPFULL of Clorox bleach in your bathwater. It will usually take care of them. Also, you can get some stuff at a pharmacy for them. Scratching just makes them burrow deeper. Treat the yard too as I don't they transfer from person to person. Whatever it is, it sounds like it is localized. Also look for those tiny ants;(can I say ****ants on here?) they itch like mad if they bite you. That's all I can think of...

Good luck. Sounds like you are pretty miserable.

Genko

14. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Hey everyone, sorry for the late response but thank you SO MUCH for all the advice. I've looked into chiggers, and it makes the most sense out of everything so I think that's what the issue is. I can't thank you guys enough for your help!!

15. gapeachkatie

I just want to point out a big misconception. Chiggers do not burrow into the skin, it is the enzyme they leave in after a bite that causes all the irritation and scratching only allows the enzyme to spread even deeper into the skin to impair healing and clotting. Chiggers are just really small and red, so they blend in with the bites well, but they rarely stay on you. They will feed and then seek shelter in your clothes or furniture until it is time for them to feed again. :( Best of luck getting rid of them, and if you are desperate for relief, use clear nail polish or cuticle oil to seal them off from the air.

16. EvTr1

EvTr1 New Member

Sorry, mites are not always species specific. Reptile mites transfer between species.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually they are.
    Reptile mites might walk on you but they will not colonize and feed on warm blooded hosts.
    And this thread is 5 years old

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.