This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile Keepers Are *weird*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Typhanie, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I had a long day at work and an even longer drive home. By the time I got home I was super tense and agitated. Anyone want to guess what I did to relax?

Yup. I spent over two hours cleaning out the reptile room.

This involved cleaning out the cages (except the snake's, which isn't dirty yet), misting down the snake, giving the iguana a full bath and moving the furniture and plants around the actual reptile room to look cleaner. Of course I also took some time to just sit with them and hold the iguana, who's been desperate for my attention since I got the snake (If I didn't know better, I'd call it jealousy), but mostly I was cleaning.

The worst part is... it really worked. I'm totally relaxed now, about to fall asleep and typing all this with one hand.

The things we do for our little cold blooded friends, right? It never ceases to amaze me. Even though I HATE housework of any kind, I don't mind it when it comes to them.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I call it therapy !!!!!!!

3. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Reptile therapy. Heh. Everyone should have a few sessions. :)

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I do it all the time. It makes me feel better knowing my critters are nice and cared for, and its rewarding caring for them.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

*raises hand cause I am weird * LOL
    yeah I love caring for things its definitely rewarding and relieves stress.
    I dunno it just makes me feel better lol
    and if that makes me weird I'll consider that a compliment:p

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I've been falling asleep on the reptile room floor lately watching my gecko. Its justthe right temp in here to put my out like a light.

7. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Heh. That's funny Lacey. ;)

I wish I could say the same, but I seriously need cold to get to sleep.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I resemble that remark!;)
    I think, to the general populace at large, we are all considered weird!
    We go to great lengths to house feed and care for these strange creatures, many of which would just as soon bite us as look at us. We worry more about proper nutrition for them then we do for ourselves.
    And discussions of bodily eliminations are cause for great interest and even happiness!

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

lol Merlin, I can tell you, everything you said is so true. I have been seeing a doc for a while for some things, it is looking like I have a vitamin deficiency. I about fell on the floor when he read me the results of my lab work, lol. Do lab work on any of my animals that have been here for a while, and their lab work will be better than mine, lol.
    The doc said to me and I quote "its time to start practicing what you preach on yourself" go figure, lol

10. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

I know how you feel stress can be so.....stressful! lol but just a little time with the girls and all is ok. Our girls are in our bedroom and I have fallen asleep on the floor right in front if their cages as well. And when I woke up, there was Miss Zak at her door looking at me like well are you going to just lay there all night or play with me? Quite amusing.

Debbie Miss Zak and Bam-Bam

11. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I've always found caring for my pets to be a stress reliever too :)

12. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

I have to agree with Merlin and Nicole. Other than our pets, the only other ones in life that concern us as to what goes in and comes out is our kids and grandkids! LOL. Freya exploded when she was on the potty today and got the whole room pretty much, we just laughed and cleaned it up. She sure is a brat lately, LOL!

13. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

i bought a big mac for a homless person the other day..made me feel good..also feels good to know your herps are healthy and clean!:)lol

14. Moshpitrockchick

I had a homeless guy ask me if I wanted to have a beer with him and his dog this morning. Seemed like a nice guy, too bad I had to work..and too bad I don't drink before breakfast, he would have made a fascinating photo model.

15. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Lacey, I knew someone who used to take lovely and very sympathetic photos of homeless folks. He was once homeless himself, too. He told me that sometimes simply buying them a meal and really just talking with them and listening to them was worth an awful lot, and he was surprised how many were just fine with having their photos taken. They were really beautiful and tragic.

If you do take some, I'd love to see you take on that subject.

16. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

this dude was in Mozambique..had his legs blown off by a land mine....still thousands scattered around their country...herping is dangerous! how fun! poor guy though... i like some of the shots...haha telephotos rock!! he did'nt see me

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Moshpitrockchick

Tom Stone is an amazing photographer from California who takes pictures of people who are down and out.
    Flickr: Photos from stoneth
    The stories with the pictures really bring it all together.

18. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

very cool photos...contrast is amazing.

19. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Those are really beautiful. Remind me to add him to my contacts when I log on today. The stories are fascinating.

It's wonderful that he's able to step outside of "normal" society and collect the stories of the people no one seems to care about. That's a very hard thing to do.

20. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

*sigh*

The pictures are excellent......................the stories just cause me to tear up.

As far as keeping my toads...............my co-workers are always asking me about them, don't think it's weird that I happen to have a baggie of crickets at my desk cuz I stopped by at lunch, etc etc.............they understand when I get excited cuz the new one pooed or whatever; does that make them weirdos in training? LOL

I find that when everything else is upsetting me......................immersing myself in my my cages erases all thoughts of everything else for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.