This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile Boredom Breakers?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Rori, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Rori

Rori Member

Hello all,
    I'm a newer herp lover who has a few mammals for pets along with my lizards and snake. I was just wondering if there are any 'boredom breakers' for reptiles like there are for rodents? I do like to feed my animals live from time to time just so they have something to do, but that's really all I can think of.
    I just want to make sure that I'm keeping them stimulated and interested enough to keep them happy.
    Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can I ask which animal/s you feed live prey to and what type of live prey you offer?

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Depends on what animals you have. Something like a leopard gecko isn't really going to get bored. If you have an animal that does a lot of foraging like a monitor you might want to try hiding food items or putting them in the enclosure in a way that the animal has to climb/dig/etc to access them.
    I don't recommend constantly rearranging the cage as that could cause stress but I think many animals could benefit from simple periodic changes to their enclosure. I switch out the branches and one of the hides in my garter snake''s cage sometimes, and after she will spend some time exploring the change

4. Rori

Rori Member

For my leopard gecko (he only eats live) he gets a mix of dubia/crickets/mealworms, depending on what's available. Crickets are definitely most stimulating for him just due to their speed. Other than that, he's pretty comfy lounging around all day since he has 3 different hides to pick from.
    and my blue tongue skinks used to eat dubias (but they weren't very good at catching them so) now the only live i really give them is the occasional mealworm. The skinks feel like they need more stimulation, somehow. I do like to take them on walks to get them some natural sunlight, but I can't really do that right now since it's a tad too cold for them at the moment.
    Ugh, I wish I could do that. I have a kenyan sand boa so anything i put in his cage seems merely for my enjoyment.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I only asked about feeding live because I thought you might have meant vertebrate prey.
    Can you show a few photos of the Blue tongue skinks and their enclosure/s and give some details of the conditions? Thanks!

6. Rori

Rori Member

Not a worry, nobody gets anything other than insects (other than my snake of course). I don't have any pictures handy but my boy (16 years) is in a 2x4ft cage with a hide on one side and a huge water bowl and large basking spot on the other.

For my girl (~6 months) she's in a 2x3ft cage, a hide on the cool side and a basking spot and sauna (kept at around 80% humidity - the vet recommended it due to some shedding issues)on the other.

The temp is ~80 on the cold, 100 on the warm for both and about 20% humidity, on ecoearth

nothing else very interesting - i have some fake leaves and such but more for my enjoyment :)