This Disappears When Logged In

Reporting a pet shop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ofsthun, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

OK so here's the deal theres a guy (in his 20's or early 30's) selling baby Iggy's and baby Red Eared Slider Turtles and after talking to him and seeing him try to sell a baby iggy to a little girl and her family I was disgusted because he basically told the family that they stay small and are really easy to take care of. He also was trying to sell the baby Sliders to another little girl and her family and I've done some research and just as I thought it's illegal to sell baby turtles with smaller than a 4" shell.

How would I go about reporting him because he has a little stand in the mall with Iggs and Baby red eared sliders and It really ticks me off that he's so careless.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

you can report him to your state wildlife agency or even see if there are any herpitological societies in your area. they might know the best rout to take, good luck and keep us posted.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You might also contact the manager of the mall and explain to him that the man is not only in violation of the law but in the event that one of those turtles causes one of those children to come down with salmonella the Mall will also be liable in case of a lawsuit.

4. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

i agree with merlin, if the mall found out that he was doing something illegal, i doubt that they would let him keep his stand

5. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

I'm going to go down and talk to the Mall manager and see what he thinks.

6. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

This topic could be an active forum of its own.

7. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

Well everybody i just got back from overseas (last minute thing) and I said something to the Mall management and brought in some info I found on the internet and after they researched (supposedly) they found that Texas has a law saying that it's legal and that it overrides the Federal Law. Now that doesn't make any sense. The guy (seller of the turtles) said he has a special permit that allows him to sell the turtles.

Now in Texas I understand that the law says that you have to get a permit to sell them but they can only be sold for educational perposes only.

What really ****s is that he moved away from the mall while I was gone so I'm going to have to do some more research and see if I can find him.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Good luck and keep us posted.

9. PCar

PCar Elite Member

Yes, here in Texas, you can get a permit to sell baby turtles with smaller than 4" shells, but like you said, only for educational purposes.

Do you happen to know the guys name or the business name? I am in Austin and San Antonio so I can help do some research too. I hate to see people trying to take advantage of customers. Especially when giving bad advice like that will put a Herp's life in danger.

10. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

I don't know the name and the onlt thing I can tell as a business name is "Little Friends" that he had on a sign. he was only there at the mall for a couple months.

11. 7geckos

7geckos Active Member

I suppose his husbandry tips were it will do well in a little bowl and only needs to eat the turtle pellets!! Hope you guys track him down and place him in a four foot cubicle and offer him stale bread only. Sorry if i'm so blunt but idiots like that really get under my skin!! Recently went into a Petco store nearby and they had 12 long tailed grass lizards(china) for sale. 6 of them were dessicated to the point you could see every bone in their bodies. The other 6 had already succumbed to their treatment. I was asked to leave the store after telling the managment they had no business keeping those or any other animals in their care.

12. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It's really frustrating and sad for the animals... most of which will probably end up in rescue or in really poor care, unless the buyers are willing to do their homework and correct this misinformation. :rolleyes:
    The fact that the guy changed malls might mean he knew he was being reported... So we can hope something sinks into his head and changes his way of doing business.
    You can feel good about trying to do something! It's important to speak for the animals who have no say in their welfare.
    All we can do is try to stay as well-informed as possible and try to pass CORRECT information onto other people. That's why I think the school trips that Jay and Ken and others do are so important.
    Good luck and try not to let it get you down too much. :)

13. PCar

PCar Elite Member

You know, it is people like this that end up giving the entire herp industry a bad rep. I really wish that there were ways in which a herp society could confiscate a person's entire collection if it can be proved that they don't know what they are talking about, or are selling animals with out the proper care info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.