This Disappears When Logged In

"Remember me" keeps forgetting me

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by smallgrayfox, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I have to keep logging in again and again, even if I've checked the "remember me" box when I log in. I also seem to get timed out, if it's been more than a little while since I posted anything, even if I've left the computer sitting at Herp Center. My computer is set to accept cookies, so I don't understand. Is it just me, or is anyone else having the same problem? Before the site troubles, if I checked "remember me" I never had to log in again, unless I had actively logged out.

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I havent experienced any problems like that, I had a few probs getting avatar and things but that got sorted, now everything is fine, I always stayed logged in and never get timed out, maybe it might be something to do with your internet settings, or your settings in your User control panel on this site. :)

3. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Yes we are having this problem also - sometimes it remembers us when we return to the site, other times we have to log in again. :confused:

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Im being forgotten as well :confused: , I tried the wrong password a few times too and had to wait 15 mins.

5. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

I'm having the same problem here... seems like it's not you...

6. MalformedMessiah

MalformedMessiah Elite Member

I've had this trouble as well.....just click HOME and it kicks in

7. venus

venus Founding Member

I am so sorry ya'll are having this problem. I will let one of the Admins know.
    :eek:

8. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

ditto here sometimes it remmebers me sometimes it doesnt never said anything i figured it was windowz bein a pita

9. smallgrayfox

I've checked my internet settings and my user control panel here, and I can't find anything it could be. I'm not blocking cookies or anything. *sigh*

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Have you got Auto complete set to usernames and passwords in your internet settings, I know you said you checked them, but you might of just missed a little something, heres a pic as some of you people might not know where it is.

Attached Files:

11. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

I don't know if I have it or not (haven't checked) but it remembers my e-mai address and my username/password in other forums I am (some with a format very similar to this one, like PetsHub)

12. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

When you log out of this site and it says "all cookies cleared" it means it will not retain your password

13. crash_reborn

crash_reborn Elite Member

problem could be occuring if you guys regularly clear your cookies through Inet options - or by running a disk cleanup from start > programs > accessories > system tools

the cookies on your machine will be cleared and you will subsequently have to log in each time

also - when you leave the site - DO NOT click log out - if you reas the following message afterwards - it says clearly "all cookies have been cleared" - which means again - tyhat you will have to log in next time - so just close the browser - without clicking the logout option first

also - with the ongoing threat of spyware - and software that cleans it and also "protects your privacy" - these things routinely clean out cookies

i have seen softwares such as the popular ad-aware 6.0 label herp center cookies as "tracking cookies" and such - and recommend them for deletion...

things that you may have that run scans on prescheduled intervals - or even at the windows load in the boot proccess - may need to be reconfigured to have less stringent regulations - or need to be manually verified durring each run - as things that are allowed to run "automatically" simply follow programmatic code - and doesnt know the difference between the HC cookie - and one that may actually be of threat...

there are so many reasons why this may happen - you really need to examine your system config - and also verify that if using any other browser then Inet Explorer - that the settings are adjusted for THAT software - as the control panel > internet options configurations will only affect internet explorer

i used to have the problem with an old site i used to frequent - and visit through AOL - as it turns out - you need to check the settings for aol - as well as the parental controls - for even as an unrestricted user - you can still by default have some really cornball setings applied

as any techie would recomend - if you are running aol(lol - aol? run? ha!) - ditch it and get a "real" ISP

if you are stuck with AOL - or equivalent - and cant change services - then (if running windows [any version]) establish a connection with AOL - and use inet explorer (trust me - if you dont think you have it - look again - its there - billy boy wouldnt have it any other way - read my signature ;-)) with appropriately configured settings and you SHOULD be ok - this will however require two windows open at a time - without the benifit of AOLs quaint window management feature

so many things could cause it - its really hard to diagnose everyones situation witout having quite a bit of info- as its probably different in each case - if anyone wants me to try to figure it out for them - PM me and ill put a list of items i need to know together for you to answer for me - and ill see if i cant get to the root of the individual problem

for any worried - i do NOT need any account information such as password or anything like that - i dont want compensation for the service- and the questions will remain generic - such as what browser and isp do you use - dialup/broadband? - any antivirus of spyware software? firewalls? that kinda stuff

once i have a picture of your systems setup - i can help work out what could be changed in hopes of remedying the issue

14. crash_reborn

this is a good point as well - i HATE windows password remembering almost as much as i hate this new .NET passport crap

if you see the "allow windows to store your password?" (or whatever it says) pop up - do NOT click yes - first - make sure to select the check box that says do NOT offer to remember any more passwords - then smite windows faulty components with a mighty click of the "NO!" button

15. crash_reborn

how to clear the autocomplete garbage is as follows

start > settings > control panel > internet options

click the "Content" tab - its the one in the middle

the bottom block is titled "Personal Information"

in that box it has the button for "autocomplete"

deselect any items that have been checked for "Use autocomplete for..."

and then deslect the "Prompt me to save passwords"

in short - nothing should be checked

click the "clear forms" button - then the "clear passwords" button - click "ok" on that window

reconfirm under settings that you can store cookies

then check the security settings for "internet" to verify again

- then click "apply" then "ok" on the inet options window

16. crash_reborn

dag gone im a nerd

17. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

The thing is that it remembers ALL my passwords except this... so that makes me think that is the site and not my puter... I have my e-mail username/password and the username/password of 5 forums (not including this one) and my puter remembers them all.. but not this one... and it used to remember my username/password before the site crashed... so I thought it was related to the site...

18. smallgrayfox

I don't ever log out, I haven't cleared cookies, I don't use autocomplete. I haven't changed anything since the site troubles. And still I'm not remembered. And it's not just that I don't stay logged on from visit to visit...I've even been booted off while idling the computer right here at Herp Center!

19. smallgrayfox

I forgot to add that I don't have windows store my password, and I don't knock out the cookies with Spybot, and I don't use aol. So I don't understand what the problem is...I really thought it was a site issue...

20. smallgrayfox

Ok... well it may be a moot point for me now...It seems to be working fine again. I experimented by moving away from the site and by idling for a long time, and I didn't get booted off, and I was finally remembered. Maybe it won't forget me anymore. :)

Guess I should have tested it again before I made the last two posts... :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.