This Disappears When Logged In

Released Herps

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Sep 30, 2004.

?

What to do about folks who dump unwanted herps?

1. Fine them heavily!

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Lock 'em up!

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Revoke thier right to own pets!

34 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Satisfactory legislation is still to come...

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Leave them out in the cold to starve like thier pets!

26 vote(s)
    30.6%
  6. I have no opinion at this time...

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, I really like alligators :D

2. cman

cman Elite Member

I Love that idea Microscope Jockey!!!

3. IGGYMAN6982

IGGYMAN6982 Elite Member

I always say " A pet is for life, not just for christmas" so if you want a pet plan on making it a part of your life. If you're not ready for that commitment then don't bother.

4. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

I say fine them heavily, lock em up, and take away there right to own animals. if it happens again. I say hit the showers...

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

At the store I used to work at they'd order in a big bunch of little rabbits just in time for Easter :( One of the many things I don't like about pet stores :mad: Yeah, a mini lop isn't exactly an iguana, but the Christmas remark just reminded me of that.

6. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

Doves at a wedding, hunting, and killing not for meat but fun. Some things I consider evil. Yes we are all evil murderers. We kill things on purpose and accident with out even knowing it.

7. beardiehaven

beardiehaven Member

I do adoption but so many people think herps are just throw away pets HOW SAD

8. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

I would like to see fairly large fines and at least 80% of the money should go to rescue :) I may be a little partial on this one.

9. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I say give em the chair.

10. Venomous

Venomous Member

working at a vet has shown me many abandoned animals. even beaten. i think the owner shold be finded with the same treatmeant as the animal was givin. if it was thrown in the cold the person should be thrown in the cold. if it was beaten then the person should be beaten the same way...

11. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

It makes me angry when I read or see or hear of animals (Iguanas) or any animal being neglected or just dropped off because they are a cheap pet to own.

I think that if iguanas were more expensive to purchase maybe people might think twice about owning one and not consider them to be a throw away pet.

just tossing them or any other pet out the fend for themselves is just cruel and they should be thrown out into the cold and see how long they survive!

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Recently in Texas the parents of a girl that had a rather nice scorpion collection discovered the scorps. Instead of letting her keep them (like she had been), or finding them new homes, they confiscated them and released them into the wild. The collection included some emperors, various other species, and some breeding deathstalkers. When the daughter told the parents the consequences of what they had just done, they didn't care.

For those of you that don't know, deathstalkers are the most venomous scorpion on the planet (I have a female myself :D). Texas is also an ideal location for them. So, if you hear in the news about texans dying of unidentified scorpion stings, now you know why. The emperors most likely died by now, as they're from tropical Africa, but the deathstalkers are from desert regions of Africa, and liked Texas just fine. There were several other species also released, but I don't remember which they were.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh NICE! :mad:
    I hope charges were filed!

14. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

i can't believe somebody would just dump an animal like that.

heck, if you don't want an animal, atleast donate it to a zoo.

15. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

thats horrible!

16. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Well I believe humans over animals any day, but some people do need a kick in the pants. I would say a fine should do...fine, and then maybe a forced class about ecosystems and proper "disposal" of an unwanted pet. Nothing like having to go to a court appointed class to **** someone off. Have any of you heard about the crazy Ig problem in Florida?

17. Caleb the Herper

Caleb the Herper Active Member

Man, if someone dumps reptiles, they should freeze. Ship them to antartica, tell them they are free to hunt wild animals, then leave them. Now thats what I call justice. anyways, i would take the reptiles if they don't want them.

18. TBone

TBone Member

Send them to a place where unwanted herps have taken over the environment. Make them part of the cleanup effort, with only a stipend.

19. Marine

Marine Elite Member

Personally I think all of the following should apply to them!
    Fine them heavily! Lock 'em up! Revoke thier right to own pets! & Leave them out in the cold to starve like thier pets!

It's a shame what people do to their animals! Grrrrrrr! :mad: :eek:

Marine

20. Dark-Side

Dark-Side Active Member

......wow stupid parents just wow
    i feel sorry for the girl
    im for more educational programs im glad the one petsmart near me theres a girl who works the reptile area who has many and goes out of her way to make sure that only people that will take care of them get them
    when they had wd there (they had 2 but both dropped dead never found out why) one of the first things out of her mouth to anyone who looked at them was there very nice ( she had one ) but they WILL get 3 to 4 foot long
    ive watched her change the mind of more than a few people who have walked in
    but at the same time theres always people there who know nothing i almost saw someone buy one who were going to keep it in a 10gallon there mind got changed

education education education and more education
    any big chain like petsmart, petco etc should have all there employees trained more smaller chains its a bit harder but at the same time ive seen better keep reps at smaller stores
    theres a small store near me with a bd that i'd realy like hes abetween 1 to 1 1/2 feet and has very nice colors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.