This Disappears When Logged In

Released Herps

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Sep 30, 2004.

?

What to do about folks who dump unwanted herps?

1. Fine them heavily!

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Lock 'em up!

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Revoke thier right to own pets!

34 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Satisfactory legislation is still to come...

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Leave them out in the cold to starve like thier pets!

26 vote(s)
    30.6%
  6. I have no opinion at this time...

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

What should we do to the people that give responsible herp keepers a bad name by releasing/dumping unwanted herps?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Maybe more addoption clinics ??? no questions asked.... more education on the sellers part so the buyer knows whats ahead ??? It's scary to me cuz the more you here these stories the more legal issues regarding herp/hobbiests are being enacted by governments worlwide !!!!

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I am a little harsh when it comes to people who mistreat animals, along with a select few other kind of people. Although I see the positive points behind educating these people, and giving them a second chance, on the whole I disagree - most of these people will never change, and what they do disgusts me. I would go for the most capital punishment available for most cases, but I am not very forgiving :p I chose "satisfactory legislation is yet to come", although "leaving them out in the cold to starve and suffer like their pets were subjected to" is a tempting punishment.. an eye for an eye.. :)

4. Todd

Todd Elite Member

I believe that people who abandon their reptiles (or free them in the wild) simply fall under the same category of folks who behave irresponsibly and become statistics for snake attacks. Why, you ask? The answer is simple. Because bad press for reptiles promotes legislation against reptiles. Many times it is unwarranted lesgislation, because the good reptile interactions far exceed the few numbers of poor interactions (i.e, attacks), in which many people feel the need to publicize. Ignorance tends to work against the rest of us herpers trying to make a difference. Please tend to your reptiles' health or dismissal appropriately, for the sake of the rest of the reptile world's sake.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Some good points made Todd - i certainly agree, why is it that some animals, such as herps, only ever get bad press; "a reptile has escaped", "a reptile has been let loose", "reptiles were found neglected..", "reptile attacks".... as you say, all of the bad press far outweighs the good press, yet the responsible, caring owners, such as every member on this forum, far outweighs the irresponsible and cruel, yet all the bad press brings us closer and closer to a ban on owning reptiles.

I just learned today, (sorry to go off the main point here), on a UK website, that over here, proposals are being put forward to try and bring in a new law - that every reptile owned in captivity will have to be provided UV lighting... this is quite disturbing, as this would only increase the poor and wrong care being given to our herps, as we all know that not all reptiles require UV and indeed for some it can be detrimental to their health.. :(

6. Todd

Todd Elite Member

That sounds preposterous! To think that they would pass a law requiring UV lighting in those regards? That kind of presumptuous move really can make someone (or group) look quite foolish.

7. cman

cman Elite Member

I say leave em out in the cold and let em starve just like their pets! this is my opinion lol I can not stand people who do this to their pets u think they would realize the hard work ahead of them. its called common sense people!!!

8. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Well...........

I almost said revoke their rights to own pets, just beacause that would be the worst punishment you could ever give me! But with these people they abvously didn't care for the pet int he first place. Fines last a little while and make no impact, its likely that if they get jail time it will be minnimumal and they will just get bailed out.......Now make a arragont person freeze their butt off and go hungary till they cant take it and they will learn! :mad: *growls* People :(

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There should have been a catagory for all of the above!
    (except have no opinion!)

Thats what sells papers. A headline like
    KEEPER EDUCATES CHILDREN REGARDING RESPONSIBLE SNAKE KEEPING!
    isn't near as attention grabbing as
    KILLER SNAKE ON THE LOOSE!

Unfortunately that is usually the way it works. I mean who would think of requiring them to actually understand the laws they pass? They take a little bit of information and run with it.
    A perfect example is in their fear of large constrictors some areas have moved to ban all constricting snakes. You can sleep easier at night since that will also protect us from those deadly Killer Cornsnakes!

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I say put them on an island and let them freeze and starve...mind you...it has to be worse than the TV show Survivor..... they get NOTHING! Not even clothes for protection!! Let 'em pack sand up their......

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Great poll Heather! I think a heafty fine would make a lot of people change their minds, but there should be more to it than that too. One part of the problem though is a lack of public education. I know for a fact that a lot of people who release frogs, lizards, turtles, etc, simply don't understand the consequences of their actions. Knowbody ever told them about the environmental havoc it can cause and the dangers to their pet's life. For example, I used to work in a pet store (I loathe pet stores). We had tadpoles. Lots of the people who bought them were gradeschool teachers who wanted them for the classroom. However, while talking to one of them, I found out she had plabnned to raise them into frogs and then release them. She saw nothing wrong with this. After all, she sees frogs outside, so why not release a few more? I explained to her that they were bullfrogs, a non-native species to ND. I told her that it is illegal to release them here (something the manager doesn't want people to know). I explained the dangers it would present to both the frogs, and the environment. Needless to say, she didn't buy any. Anyway, I think there needs to be more public education out there by the local fish and game and the pet stores.

12. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Ok I have an idea: for certain crimes like some driving violations and soliciting, first time offenders can avoid jail time if they pay a fine, take a really heinous course and do some community service. Maybe the folks who release/dump reptiles should pay thier fine, be sent to the zoo for a lecture by the curator of herpetology about how terrible it feels to freeze and starve to death as well as some herp basics. Then when the lecture concludes they have to do zoo chores aka shovel poo and hopefully some reptile related chores like perhaps cleaning the alligator pond with...oh say a toothbrush while the gators are in the pond :p

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

14. Bitis Gabonica

I second that motion! Love it! :D

15. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I third it! :p lol

16. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Sounds like a good plan! Hey, can I volunteer to clean the gator pond, without releasing any herps?

17. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i love that idea yet i also say they should be dumped out in the cold and left to starve. let them see and feel what their pet is feeling! people who do such things are so terrible and it makes me mad. :mad: even if its not a herp i still think the same rule should go. people definitely need some common sense.

18. Jinxx

Jinxx Member

I dont think we have any laws that sufficiently, fairly and justly deal with pet care and or pet ownership.

Most places cant even keep a dog or cat legally safe from harm, reptiles have no chance. There is the issue of enforcing any of these laws or future laws. What have the present laws done so far....nothing much, except spread a paranoia and this hush hush ness.

More adoption centers or holding centers, more educational programs and some positive media wouldnt hurt.

Good Poll

19. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

lol!! nice idea i think there's tooth brush around here somewhere....

20. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

I say we treat them like their pets. If there snake is starving and living in a small cage, lets starve them and put them in a small cage. Or if their lizard has mouth rot, make them get gingivitis. Eye for an eye i say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.