This Disappears When Logged In

Redtail Boa Burrowing?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Kayla Hover, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Kayla Hover

Kayla Hover New Member

Hey, I just got my new baby redtail and its about a month old it was born 7/21 and it hasnt ate yet, the guy I got it from tried feeding it on
    8/15
    8/24
    And it didnt eat both times, I offered it some food a few minutes ago. It refused.
    It doesnt sleep in its hides at all, but it sleeps on its stick and behind the hides. Whenever i take it out it will crawl around my arm a bit then get off explore a bit more and then either burrow under my pillow and stay there or make a burrow in my blankets and stay there. Right now it seems to be sleeping under my pillow, its all curled up and everything, and i check on it every few minutes just to make sure he hasnt booked it. Its a Hog Island boa bred to a Red tail boa. Its very friendly and hasnt tried or bit me yet.

Everything in the tank is perfect,
    Two hides, one on each side
    A water bowl it can drink and soak in
    Humidity is at 60% to 70%
    The bedding is loose coconut fiber
    Its got sticks it can climb
    The temp is 90-95 on the warm side and 80-85 on the cooler side

What do I do?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

First of all, don't buy snakes that haven't started eating. What food are you offering, and how are you offering it?
    It can take a while to start snakes. It's only been a month, but if it hasn't had it's first meal yet, every time you have a failed attempt it will further establish the habit the snake has of rejecting food you offer. This is why the breeder needs to start the snake first.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Also, why are you handling him and taking him out??? Leave him alone and let him get used to his enclosure. Leave him there for atleast a week. No touching, no handling, don't try to feed, don't move stuff around in his enclosure, don't even look at him funny. (Lol) leave him alone completely, and let him hide. and then just try and feed him in his enclosure, don't get him out until he is well started on meals. The worst thing you can do is stress a snake that doesn't eat.

4. waagyl

waagyl Active Member

I agree with amityreptiles. It is so so so soooo hard because we just want to love them but it's important. Also have you tried leaving the food in with the boa for a bit? What always worked for me when my snake was finicky was finding a small box that the snake and its food can sit in for a bit where the snake is forced to recognize the food item in there. Eventually she would just be like 'I can't run from it so imma eat it'. I hope everything goes well!