This Disappears When Logged In

Red Tail Boa Help

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Nicole Marie, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Nicole Marie

Nicole Marie New Member

I have recently inherited a red tail boa. He is young - maybe a year old. He is very social and usually always comfortable with me. However, Sunday when I went to feed him, he hissed at me. Then today when I took him out to handle him, he kept opening his mouth like he was going to hiss. He did it several times within 15 minutes. Then I put him back to let him relax in case something was wrong and he still did it after that but stopped after 2 times. Is something wrong? I have had him for 3 months and he has never once been aggressive to me. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Sounds like he might be getting ready to go into a shed.
    I'd call opening his mouth and hissing being defensive more than aggressive. If he was really unhappy he would have probably tried to bite. I wouldn't worry a whole lot unless it became a regular thing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Please include husbandry details so we can rule out everything. Have you noticed labored breathing, coughing, or needing to open the mouth to breathe?

4. Rossi1975

Rossi1975 Member

An wheezwheezing or clicking sounds or bubbles at mouth take a top gently open mouth to check for possible reso..