This Disappears When Logged In

Red Rump Tarantula Baby

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by infantry492, Mar 8, 2015.

1. infantry492

infantry492 Active Member

I just got a baby Mexican red rump tarantula yesterday at a reptile show. This is my first spider and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on giving it good care. Right now its in a small 3 gallon tank with about a half inch of Eco earth, two spider plants, and some moss. I'm planning on getting a small hide for it as well. Do they need any special lighting or any lighting at all? should I have a certain temperature and humidity? any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    -Tristan

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have zero experience with spiders other than the usual scream from the family and I come running with a paper towel.
    But I would think that proper humidity is important for molting as with anything that sheds.

3. Lizz

Lizz Well-Known Member

Hello, I realize this is a bit of an old post, but I will answer anyway, you may still find this information useful and so might others in the future.
    No special lighting needed. UV light is dangerous to them. As long as your room temp doesn't go below 70, you don't need additional heating, if it does, you can use a mini heat pad on the bottom of the tank, make sure temp doesn't exceed 85 degrees F. You could also use a low wattage heat bulb, like 25 watts (do NOT use that for a 3 gallon tank, it will get to hot, use for 10 gallon or larger), but you need to monitor temps carefully to make sure your T doesn't cook itself.
    Adding a shallow water dish is important so that you can be sure your T is well hydrated. For a sling, a plastic bottle cap works well. Don't make it so large that it becomes a drown risk. The dish shouldn't be larger than the T.
    Here is a good care sheet that will tell you about humidity as well:
    B-vagans-specie-sheet
    Your T, as you probably already know, will need a larger enclosure. Mexican red rumps reach about 6".
    Your T will appreciate deeper subrate to burrow in as well, basically the more the merrier, so a 10 gallon tank would be a great permanent enclosure for your T's size as well as having enough vertical space to allow for a deep substrate. You could fill it halfway up or even a little bit more.
    There is much more to say about their care, so if you have any, more specific, questions, I'll be glad to answer, but it would take to long to type everything.
    Good luck with your new friend!
    Any pics to share? I'd love to see it.