This Disappears When Logged In

Red Poop? Dx

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Mellu, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

You could try pulling the back legs off of a few crickets and then putting them on top of his veg, or in a small dish.

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Nice photos. I really like the idea of plush animals in the tank from them to climb on, but my baby hates anything other than his plant.

Best of luck with the little guy!

3. Mellu

Mellu Active Member

I had much more success with him today, he hunted his little tucus off! He still didn't eat as much as I'd have liked(about 12 hunted and 4 by hand) but he is up to a whole 13 grams!!! I'm so proud of him! After a hard day of chasing down his own food, pooping in his greens, splashing his butternut squash everywhere, a bath and basking on bunbun he was pooped. He snuggled right down in his burrito and slept on his mommy's chest.

He has a sore little toe that he's had since we got him, it doesn't seem to be getting worse but I am worried about it. Our vet won't even see him because of how tiny he is. I've been putting polysporin on it but I'm hunting for an aloe plant and picking up some unpasteurized honey, I hear it's a natural antibiotic.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It could be some stuck shed, keep up the warm baths and polysporin without painkillers. Not sure about aloe vera and animals

5. Mellu

Mellu Active Member

I think he pooped in them because his daddy didn't cut them up right or put his squash in the other side of his bowl, the way mommy does :p. He's been swimming around his bath(even though it's hardly deep enough to) but he hates it when he gets water in his ears!! He splashes water over his back with his front feet, you'd have to see him in the tub to believe it! I'll try to get a video! He also prefers to poop in the tub rather than in his tank, like Mika, Lagu will NOT go in the tub!

Lagu had two sore scales on his back from retained shed that were super ouchie and the girls over on BD.org told me to use aloe, they got better with polysporin but they swore by it. It grows wild in Australia so it is something they would probably eat in the wild, not that that makes it okay, just an interesting fact, lol.

6. gapeachkatie

Be sure to get an actual aloe vera plant, and not one of the similar varieties. There is a variety that has a smooth, narrow "leaf" that has little beneficial value to it.

7. mld

I think that the sap is more of a danger than the gel, I would double check!

8. gapeachkatie

Aloe Vera is actually a very good natural anti-inflammatory and moisturizer. It is found naturally on every continent, and in the wild, many reptiles and small mammals have been seen eating it.

Note: There is a history of cats having an intolerance to aloe. Just be sure that if using it on the skin of an animal, just break off the tip of a leaf and use a q-tip to apply it. Or, they make an aloe gel that is sold in the organic section of super markets, it is simply pure aloe that had water added to thin out the natural gel/sap, it can be used in place of the plant in case you cannot find one.

Still, take precautions when using any kind of plant with your animals, as I would not recommend using generous portions of any ointment/gel to prevent possible allergies or other health complications.

9. mld

Thats what I thought too, until I did a bit more reading.
    Is Aloe Gel Toxic to Dogs? | eHow.com

10. Mellu

Mellu Active Member

Thanks Katie! I looked in my store for aloe gel but they only had the kind with the bubbles in it and it had other ingredients so I decided to keep looking for a plant. I'm very familiar with Aloe plants as I get sunburnt really easily and that is my go-to soother. My mom always had one when I was younger.

MLD I wouldn't be keeping the plant in with him just breaking the leaves and dabbing the aloe on. I love that about the water dish! I don't keep a dish in with my guys because they don't like it and all it does is up the humidity, once sgt is in his big boy tank I might get him one, since he loves his baths so much! The tank we have our eye on for him is VERY well ventilated so I wouldn't be worried about humidity.

11. gapeachkatie

I had never heard of it causing problems in dogs. Nice thing to know, even though my dog goes out of her way to try to eat my aloe plants (have roughly 20, all rooted from the same original plant) and have busted her eating a leaf on a regular basis with no complications. Down side to boarder collies, they are smart enough to know how to get to what they want, and enjoy the reactions from doing the impossible.

12. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

There is a product called "Aloe Vera Detox" that bird owners have used to treat gout. It does say that fresh from the leaf is better, though.

Visceral and Articular Gout