This Disappears When Logged In

Red Eyed Crocodile Skink Set Up

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by oakensiren, Mar 13, 2018.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Well-Known Member

First time reptile owner, but i have been reading everything i can about croc skinks for 3 months. I will buy a pair of croc skinks around May, but before i buy it i want to know if this set up is right or what can i change.
    Its a 55 gall old fish tank that can have 4 lids
    20180313_195621.jpg 20180313_195556.jpg
    The temp. Is between 68 and 76.
    Humidity stays around 70-80 (i am missing 1 lid and the other 3 lids are glass)
    The plants are:
    1 devil's ivy
    2 spider plants
    2 plants i dont remember their name but they were in my old fish tank

Substrate is a mix of potting earth, coco fiber, tree bark and spagnum moss with some reptile substrate leaves. Its 3-4 inches deep.

I also want to know if i can put guppy in the water to prevent mosquitoes?
    And what lightning would you recomend?

Thanks

2. oakensiren

Forgot to mention, as clean up crew i will get springtails since they are the only thing sold where i live and i read croc skinks wil gladly eat earth worms

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That looks like a great setup for crocodile skinks.
    For lighting I'd recommend a Reptisun T5 HO fluorescent strip bulb for the plants and skink, maybe a cheap led strip just to brighten things a little more.
    How big is the water feature and do you have issues with mosquitos? The glass lid you have is good for keeping humidity but UVB light will be unable to permeate it. A fine screen mesh should keep unwanted insects out.
    Whereabouts are you from? For my tropical vivariums I collected native temperate isopods and they have survived perfectly well. Those would make a good addition to springtails

oakensiren likes this.
  4. oakensiren

1521074181717898871991.jpg this is the water dish, its almost 1 foot long and 1 inch deep. Mosquitos are a plague in the rain season (they have breed on one of my fish tanks with glass lids before.
    Where i live pesticide is used a lot so i dont really trust having wild bugs and the only things i can get are the springtails and some earth worms.
    I also want to ask if dry hidding spots are a must or if they can dig it. And if they are how could i keep them dry in the 80% humidity tank?
    Thanks for your replies

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Unfortunately that's not really enough water for any fish to live in long term.
    All the crocodile skinks I've ever been exposed to were perfectly content with hiding spaces that were moist like the rest of the enclosure. That being said it wouldn't hurt to give them a dry retreat, putting a hide over a piece of slate or something would give them a dry area as well as pieces of cork bark here and there which wouldn't stay wet all the time

6. oakensiren

Forgot to mention, i have an empty 40 gal that i would like to use as quarantine tank when i buy the skinks, how should i set it up? would it be better to use 2 10 gal? and how long should i quarantine them?
    And would cherry shrimp be ok in the water part?