This Disappears When Logged In

Red Colored Discharge

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by missabrat, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

hi, I have a 6 1/2 ft Red tail boa, named Chloe. She is possibly gravid, was connected with a male in october just before halloween.
    She has some signs, belly up to the heat lamp, will only eat 1 to 2 large rats once a month,(although she is offered every 10 days)
    Cage set up- 6ft Vision cage, sliding glass doors, basking spot is 85* cool is 70*-75* large water dish, at this point I have removed her hides (and her second larger water dish) from both ends of her cage, if she is getting ready to birth I don't want her to crush the little ones.

This morning, as I was watering everyone, I noticed that in the corner of her cage she had expressed a red colored discharge, it was very strong smelling. when i came home from work, there was another smaller puddle of the same, not as smelly but still red colored. There is not any feces or solid urates with this. Her last feces and urates was 2 days ago, bigger than normal, about 1/4 more so not bad.
    Today,She doesn't want anything to do with being touched, (yes I showered LOL) will turn tail and haul away as fast as she can. Otherwise she is acting her normal self. drinking, exploring, basking.
    She was out of her cage 2 days ago, to enjoy a bit of fresh air while I did a thorough cage scrub(bleach and water, rinsed twice and air dried), she was very active and didn't mind being handled for the few minutes I held her.
    has anyone seen this before?
    I talked with my friend who runs the rescue, where I got Chloe, she hasn't dealt with a gravid female, so she is unsure, but made a few calls,no one seems to be able to tell us anything yet. have left a message with the vet, and collected a sample just in case vet wants to see it.

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I have no idea but if I were you I would take her to the vet. Some one should chime in that can answer your question better.

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

As soon as they open Monday we will be calling.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

You should bump up the heat if possible. (i think)

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Did you look in past threads? I don't know if anything can help but its worth a shot.

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

well from what I have just been told, this discharge is a beginning of labor, she should have babies any day !! OK now I'm nervous!! boiling water, preparing nurseries, looking for pinkies LOL we are hoping for a good outcome, we have decided any babies that survive will be sold at the next PA Expo, and the proceeds will go to fund the rescue MaxMan Reptile Rescue

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

AW that's so exciting!! Scary too! Good luck keep us updated!!!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

the babies won't eat until after their first shed, so while you will need some mice (pinkies or hoppers will be suitable, depending on size) you still have time to get some. You could place an order with RodentPro (Rodentpro.com Frozen Feeder Rodents) and get a goodly supply of feeders for your babies, and some for your new mother snake.

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Thanks Dragoness, a friend of mine was at the PA show yesterday,he was there picking up frozen feeders for myself and the rescue owner, she already has pinkies in her freezer that she keeps on hand just in case she gets a rescue that need them.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would kick the heat up a bit. Your basking area should be 90-95 degrees.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Thanks Merlin, have done so already :) she is basking now, on her side, now we just wait and see what she's going to do....ugh I hate waiting LOL ...spent the better part of the night, shining my flashlight to see what she was doing, I don't want to miss it, more than likely, she'll wait until I'm off to work in the morning !

12. Merlin

Quite likely. Just like women they just refuse to deliver when its convenient!;)
    The man who owned the mother of my boa watched and waited to see the birth. He was at his daughter's soccer game one evening and came home to this!
    [​IMG]

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

That's awesome...how many where there?

14. Merlin

31 wriggling little snakes!
    And a mess of afterbirth!

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

UGH !!! We are hoping to NOT have that many LOL but as long as they are healthy we'll be happy

16. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

here she is as of two minutes ago, just basking away :)

Attached Files:

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

HOLY MOLY! It took me a minute to realize that was a bunch of baby snakes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.