This Disappears When Logged In

Red chile rose

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by royalbabylover, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalbabylover

royalbabylover Elite Member

Hi,

We've just received our first tarantula today. She is a sub adult Red Chilean Rose.

I'm going to let her settle in for a few days and get her eating before I take any pics.

RBL

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Re: Red chilli rose

Awesome and congrats, cant wait to see pics.

3. royalbabylover

I'm going to give her a few days at least.
    Going ot put a coupleof crickets in tomorrow and hopefully she'll eat those and then after her second feed I'll get pics.
    IF she'll stay still long enough.

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

If they're anything like a regular chilean rose hair, Being still won't be a problem. I've heard of both red hairs and rose hairs, But a red rose hair is a first for me.:)

5. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Congrats on your tarantula royalbabylover! Hope to see the pics soon!

6. royalbabylover

Well the Tarantula has been eating like nothing I've seen considering she only came 2 days ago.
    She ate a butterfly + 3 locusts the first night and another 4 locusts today.

Here is the website I bought her from. She is a 'red' chilean rose according to that. I think it's probably just a brighter colour than the ordinary 'rose' coloured ones?????
    I've never owned one before so I have no idea really.

Tarantulabarn.com - STORE - Chile Rose RCF (Powered by CubeCart)

Here's a pic of her.

[​IMG]

RBL

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Great addtion. You can never go wrong with the old stand by's. Though I wouldn't count on being able to hold it, All my Gramostola's are pysco.

8. royalbabylover

We don't intend handling her.
    She is one of the pets we have that are purely for 'show'.

We do take them to my grandchildrens schools and do 'show and tell' for the kids but the amphibs and now the tarantula are not handled.

The kids love handling the snakes and taking the old shed skins to make art projects with.

RBL

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Well, They're great animals anyway! I handled mine with no problems. I would simply put one hand down flat and prod it with my other hand to move onto the first.

But beware, If they fall more than a foot or two, Their exoskeletons can burst causing death. It's best to fill they're enclosures with substrate to where the ground level is 6 or 8 inches from the lid so if they climb and fall, It won't be hazardous.
    That will also help hold humidity.

But from your pic it looks exactly like the one I had. Names are just words used in the pet trade! They're a great animal anyway! there are different color morphs.

Chileans of any morph are easily handled.
    My newest Tarantula, The "Goliath Bird Eating T" is quite unhandleable! It's huge and will jump on you in a split second!

10. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

I handle my Grammostola rosea all the time. I've had her for about 12 years and she is not very aggressive at all when I go to pick her up. Judging from your pics, I'd say that you also have a G. rosea, but I'd confirm that with whomever you bought it off of.

Good luck and have fun with your new tarantula (even if you're not going to be handling it).

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'd be careful feeding her things like that. Wild-collected insects very often contain parasites that can pass on to your tarantula. They can also be contaminated by chemicals or be poisonous. Considering how cheap store-bought crickets are, and how little tarantulas eat, I'd stick with store-bought prey items. Also take care not to overfeed her.

As for the "red" confusion, your tarantula is a Chilean rose-haired tarantula, Grammostola rosea (the website misspells it "Grammastola"). The same as any rose-hair. Yours is just redder, known as a "red color form", which is what the "RCF" on that page stands for.

That said, she looks good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.