This Disappears When Logged In

Reccomendations on Pretty T's?

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by andys3ballpythons, Nov 6, 2011.

1. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

so as much as the wife is against "bugs" as she calls them, she has agreed to let me have a tarantula. i have always been partial to the way a mexican red knee looks, but after some ive seen im not sure what i reall want, ive seen purples, blues, reds, oranges, ect ect in beautiful spiders. so just an idea of what i have in mind for requirements are as follows, must be pleasing to the eye, docile would be awesome as i love to let the walk on my hands without fear of being bit, colorfull would be nice, not overly priced, say under $50 U.S. and something that might be ok in say a 10 gallon tank or so. any reccomendations or advise is apprechiated. i did check out a pink toe the other day that was a neat little spider, if only he was more colorfull.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are several different kinds of pink toes, all of varying intensity of the same basic colors. Metallic. Antilles, etc.

Cobalt blues are also pretty.

Home has a wide selection, maybe you can get some ideas there.

3. andys3ballpythons

arent the cobalt blues meaner than snot?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That I don't know, lol.

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Look into green bottle blues.

Pretty much.

6. andys3ballpythons

i saw a few pictures of them, but couldnt find anything about max size or temperment, not to mention average price. do you know much about them? they are very unique looking.

7. BarelyBreathing

I've got a gbb sling. I paid right around $50 for her. Don't quote me on that, because I got her as part of a group (two choco gold knees, a Peruvian pink rump, gbb) for $200. They are a medium sized tarantula. They are pretty mellow, but can be shier when younger.

8. andys3ballpythons

that actually helps out a little bit, ill look into them a little more.

9. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I'm going to get a green bottle blue! :) They are supposed to be pretty good starting Ts, maybe a little shy but generally docile. I'm also going to get a Brazilian giant black tarantula, they are known to be pretty slow and calm, and that will be my 'tame' T... The rest I want are sort of evil. Like the orange baboon tarantula and (someday when I can afford it) a gooty tarantula!

But remember of course all animals and bugs are individuals. Some people end up with evil green bottle blues and more docile orange baboons... Just like how there is an occasional nasty ball python... Individuals. :) Be prepared for maybe just a 'look don't touch' bug, but most likely it will be docile and sweet! Most of them are great from what I've seen and held! :D

10. RepMontreal

RepMontreal Well-Known Member

Green Bottle Blues are very beautiful tarantulas, mine is starting to get the adult coloration and it is really nice. I also reccomend Avicularia versicolor . These arachs are really cool looking and I've heard they are fairly easy to handle as well, in contrast to the Green Bottle blue. As they tend to be a little more skiddish I think.

11. BarelyBreathing

I have been looking into a. versicolor. They are arboreal, aggressive, and have quite the nasty bite.

Check out the Chaco gold knee, as well. My big girl is really handleable.

12. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeah I had never heard of a. versicolors being very tame, I know of a few that are, but most of them are too fast and nervous!

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I have heard that new world species are supposed to be more "docile" than those from the "old world." I only have a G. rosea though so I can't really speak from personal experience lol but she's extremely tolerant of handling.

I had been thinking of getting another T and among the species I was considering were Tapinauchenius violaceus (Purple Tree Tarantula - Arboreal and reputed to be aggressive - experience level moderate) and Ephebopus murinu (Skeleton Tarantula - Terrestrial/Burrowing). They're both new world species and both stay relatively small - leg span under 6 inches. :)

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Those skeleton tarantulas are too cool! :cool:
    I love my Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, she is very docile and gorgeous in my mine.