This Disappears When Logged In

Re: Introduction+history For My Last Post

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kriminaal, Dec 19, 2019.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

For those of you whom don't know.
    I believe its been 2 years now since HerpCenter's founder, creator, genius, Rich Brooks passed away.
    Unfortunately taking with him the keys to the kingdom so to speak.
    With all the privacy laws now (and for good reason) we have been very unsuccessful at getting any access to this site. Once paid subscriptions become due, it will cease to exist.
    Kind of a sad slow death to the site.

So likely this will be my last post and I figured I'd re-introduce myself and a little History on the site.

The site was opened in early 2005. Merlin whom is still around, was here at the beginning. It was actually 2 forums then, Herp Center and Herp Habitats.
    Which is probably self-explaining.
    I began as a Moderator on Herp Habitats in 2006, due to my knowledge of building and general good nature,lol I live in Southern Ontario Canada and have been a cabinetmaker since 1989.

A bit of a joke, but from the get go Rich wanted Herp Center to be a great place for all reptile enthusiasts.
    As Moderators we were to enforce the rules members agreed to such as no profanity, no fighting, no text slang.
    Having members from a very young age to members where their first language wasn't English. This was to be a safe place for all.

Moderating definitely wasn't all fun and games. For a period of time Rich has installed a "moderating calculator" of sorts. Which kept track off how much actual moderating we were doing. This type of moderating was fixing posts for grammar, spelling and general easy reading ability.
    Rich was serious about this and had actually upgraded the Spell Check feature to make sure it caught as much as possible.
    Bots didn't last long as well, it would be very rare to see a spam post from that upgraded feature blocking them as well.

We also checked as many posts as possible for accuracy on any reptile advice that was given. Sometimes members wanted to feel important by giving out advice that they just found on the internet. Often unchecked on other forums, we would "flag" it to a moderator who had the most experience in that area for checking.

Among all the moderators we had quite a wealth of information and with this we begun writing good care sheets that had accurate advise. Then simply directed many questions to those care sheets.

Rich had created a separate Care sheets.com website to house these. The link is still on this site but the website is off-line now. Another testament to how much work Rich has put into this website.

I was going through some our HC staff posts and there is so much history in them I have to admit was pretty sad to realize when the site goes down how much will be lost.
    Met so many people both as staff and regular members whom have helped out so much over the years to get this forum to be the best reptile forum out there. I can proudly say we were the best before our slow demise.

As well as stopping people from making those all too often IMPULSE buys. Or talking someone out of buying a caiman, anaconda or often too popular savannah monitor.

Even now, the wealth of information we can see guests accessing on a daily basis even when no one is posting anymore is amazing. But that too will all be gone.

SO a big thanks to all who helped and make this site so great.
    Will most of us be forgotten for this endeavor? Sure! But we didn't do it for a pat on the back anyway.
    We did it to give reptiles the best chance of survival possible. So MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

upload_2019-12-19_9-8-35.png

Rakoladycz and David McConley like this.
  2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well said Mike. I have been thinking about just such a post but just haven't been able to do it. Maybe hoping against hope that we would be able to get things rolling again. But I am starting to accept that it is not to be. I think one of the things that disturbs me is the amount of information that will be lost.
    I have been honored to have been a part of this creation. I seriously doubt that we will see it's like again.

So thank you to you and the rest of the staff as well as our members who made this the best, safest family friendly site on the web. It breaks my heart to see it end this way.

David McConley likes this.
  3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I joined this forum in I think 2012, when I was still in school and honestly not old enough to be making competent posts online about my newfound passion in reptiles. Nonetheless, I was always treated kindly and fairly by everyone here and the information gained from all the different staff and members from this site was priceless. This forum was an amazing atmosphere for a kid to ask questions and get real, accurate answers from other experienced folks. I've been on numerous forums since, mostly related to other hobbies, but none have been as good as this one.

Thank you for everything that you all did to contribute here, and best of luck to you.

David McConley and kriminaal like this.
  4. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh how sad! It’s been over 10 years since I’ve visited the site. I had no idea.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes its heartbreaking to us as well. We are just spinning our wheels waiting for the final curtain to drop.
    The end of an era.

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Merlin, you and Mike and all the other Admins and Mods were the bar to which all other forums I joined were measured by. As expected, all others fell WAY short!

As this site is slowly creeping to it's eventual doom please allow me to thank one and all for the great times. Rich was awesome and I just wish I had known earlier that he passed ( I found out about 6 months ago). I would also like to thank him posthumously!

If anyone feels like keeping in touch, maybe we can find a way to exchange e-mails or something. I just reconnected with one of the other members on here from years ago.

Again, thanks and much respect to all!

David

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with everything that you`ve all said regarding the forum, it was the first one I ever joined, I had no idea they even existed, I only came to post an ad for a friend of mine who was looking to acquire T. rugosa (shingleback skinks) which I`d heard had been bred in America, strangely (VERY strangely) I didn't get a single reply but decided to stay, I think I (overstayed according to some/many) my welcome for a decade! A serious question; is it possible for someone (anyone) to actually "copy and paste" (or whatever else would work) as much of the threads as possible?

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hey Stefan and David. Good to see you.
    Hope things are well with you in this 'new world'.
    Copying would be a monumental task. We've had people wanting to help, but that didn't seem to pan out at all.

Would take someone of webpage knowledge to perhaps get anywhere. I have learned a few things in my digging but not enough to accomplish anything but hit some walls.

Just like vananus.nl I guess. Shared knowledge will be gone.
    (I guess that was my last thread? but not my last post)

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Just want to share my thanks to you Mike and you Merlin for trying to keep HC alive as long as you have . As well as everyone who put an effort into making herpcenter the great community it was for all those years.
    It's truly a shame all the information that will eventually be lost. This was the forum I called home.

David McConley and kriminaal like this.