This Disappears When Logged In

Rat Colony Finally Up and Running

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Pituophis, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Well after a month and a half of waiting my females finally had their first litters this week, combined 18 babies between the two of them, breeding rats was more of an experiment for me than anything else to see if it really is cheaper than buying frozen for my smaller collection of snakes, and to provide to some of my local friends also. I used sterlite tubs with screen mesh tops, and they have been working great, always give the rats a stick to chew on and haven't had any issues with them chewing the cages. I use a mixture of oldroy dog food , and pet store rat/mice seed mix, and i don't top up there bowls tip they empty whats in them. It seems to work really well, and between food an bedding for 5 rats I'm at like 12 dollars a month.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The thing to do when growing feeders of any kind is to make it as easy as possible for maintenance and feeding.
    Otherwise you end up spending more time with the feeders than the reptiles.
    I've been there when I was doing a mice colony as well as my roach colony.
    Always had the issue of the pinkies getting eaten and the mice killing each other though.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Mike hit it dead on, it needs to be as easy as possible to do the maintenance. I use mortar tub based racks for all my rodent breeding, and it has been a tremendous time saver for me. It's almost always cheaper to breed your own feeders if you can, usually the only hurdle is have the space and the cost of getting set up to do it. Being able to sell a few to others can bring the cost down even more.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I just cant bring myself to start working with rats. Does not sound like a good time to me! But good on ya for committing! Maybe some day my feeder bill will get out of hand enough to motivate me to give it a shot. Not yet tho

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If all my snakes would eat F/T, I wouldn't mess with it, as I think it would cost roughly the same without all the work, or just a bit more, but live feeder prices around here are nuts. I'm running a colony of about 50 odd breeders, and it runs me around 75 to 100 bucks a month to maintain them. And thats just feed, I am able to get litter free, otherwise the cost would go up quite a bit. Of course I'm doing everything as cheaply as I can without sacrificing care quality in order to keep the obsession as reasonable as possible. Which means more sweat equity in most everything I have.

6. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

I agree with you 100% Darkbird, If i can supplement the cost of feeding the snakes by breeding my own feeders and selling some off to friends, than that makes keeping my collection all the more feasible. I just ordered a new snake this week, hopefully the old lady likes this one more than my moody jungle, or I may have less help taking care of them all haha