This Disappears When Logged In

Rat Bit My Hogs Nose

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Robert Gray, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Robert Gray

Robert Gray Member

My hog named "Rosie", sustained a rat bite about 1/2" behind her nose while feeding. Since this happened (2 weeks ago), she hasn't ate. We are treating her bite with Neosporin. She is active as always, but won't take a rat live or frozen. We have even reduced the size... Still no luck. Any help would be great.

2. Libby2999

Libby2999 Member

She's scared. I suggest always feed frozen to prevent this. Have you tried warming the frozen mouse in warm (not hot, don't cook it) water and wiggle it in front of her wit reptile tongues?

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Couple things to try, my hogs sometimes are too busy during the day to think about food lol. When this happens I feed them at night, gently wake her up with a mouse in front of her face while she s sleeping. And yes not live make sure it's frozen thawed. Also try soaking the mouse in tuna to scent it (just the water from a tuna can works).
    You can also put her in a small opaque container in her enclosure with the mouse and close the lid. (Poke holes in the sides) leave her in there over night. the darkness and security encourage feeding.
    What size rodent are you feeding and how often? How big is Rosie? Also detailed enclosure conditions would be great.

4. AmityReptiles

Keep in mind hogs don't normally eat rodents. So definitely switch to f/t. They don't normally have to put up a fight and they aren't constrictors. They mostly eat frogs and toads and such in the wild.

5. Robert Gray

Robert Gray Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I feed and raise rats. She has been taking medium live rats. I have reduced them to small rats and have started to freeze them.

6. AmityReptiles

I'm very sorry, I thought we were talking about hognose snakes, disregard most of what I said lol. I just saw what forum this was posted in.

7. AmityReptiles

Have you tried leaving the meal in overnight?(for frozen thawed) How often does she normally eat?

8. Robert Gray

Robert Gray Member

She is 4'4" her widest girth is about 8"and has been taking medium live rats twice a week. I have reduced the size to small and began freezing them. Her enclosure is a custom climate controlled, 4'x4' by 3' high viv. done in a very realistic 3-D jungle. Rosie's full name is "Whole Lotta Rosie", from the
    AC DC song. Yes Rosie is a big girl... LOL. Im not hindering her growth at all. I love her like a child.

9. Robert Gray

Robert Gray Member

Are you speaking of "hog nose" or "Hog Island Boa",??? Rosie is a Hog Island Boa Constrictor.

10. Robert Gray

Robert Gray Member

Hmmm... Looking at sign above the door.. HOG ISLAND BOA
    RMOFLOL..:):D

11. AmityReptiles

Yeah haha sorry I'm more used to the term "hogs" referring to hognose. My bad.

12. AmityReptiles

Twice a week that is a big girl! Good your not hindering her growth... But maybe consider cutting back alil on frequency of feedings; there is such a thing as too fat with boas, and it can cause health problems like in other animals. You should be able to feed her once a week and have a good healthy snake. I can't really comment on her weight though because its not polite and I'm not as familiar with this particular species... :)
    I wouldn't worry in only two weeks though if she hasn't eaten. She's had a fairly traumatic experience. Try offering food less often, if you are still offering twice a week then it might just be the stress. Give her a week or so (Maybe longer) to calm down and relax and then try again.

13. Robert Gray

Robert Gray Member

UPDATE....
    Rosie finally ate yesterday shortly after the eclipse had finished. Note, if your snake gets bit while feeding. Use Neosporin, once healing starts apply virgin coconut oil to the broken skin. This promotes extra healing and prevents scaring from occurring. Apply at least once a day for a week.:)