This Disappears When Logged In

Rare And Expensive Monitor Lizard

Discussion in 'Lizard Videos' started by Yangliang, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Yangliang

Yangliang Well-Known Member

Hello,

I noticed yesterday whilst buying calcium powder that the store where I bought my pet iguana now has this tiny and unbelievably expensive black monitor lizard for sale at the price of RMB 80,000 (USD11,600 / GBP 9,000).

After searching online, it looks like a baby Komodo Dragon!!! Unbelievable.

mmexport1538153000094.jpg mmexport1538152995414.jpg

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

What pet store is this, where one can buy a komodo dragon?

3. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Is it a Komodo? So many monitors look similar, especially as babies.

4. Yangliang

In Shanghai, China.

5. Yangliang

I asked the seller and he confirmed it is indeed a Komodo Dragon imported from Indonesia. My worry is if someone buys it simply because it looks cute. Would end up being lethal once he grows.

6. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

To be fair, most little monitors are cute and then grow up to be extremely large and potentially dangerous lizards. No reason anyone should own a Komodo for a private collection. In fact, I'm 99.99% positive it's illegal to keep them (definitely illegal in North America) and to import / export them.

7. Yangliang

Quoted from online. "Not only is it unsafe to have a komodo dragon for a pet, it would be illegal. Komodo dragons are a protected species, and are listed as "vulnerable". Komodo Dragons can reach 2-3m in length."

8. Lori68

This store should be reported for selling a protected species you know. There are many reasons this should have never been seen and that is just one of many reasons this store should get reprimanded for even daring to put one up for sale

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  9. Yangliang

I fully agree but prefer not to get involved. For them to be able to get such an animal into china and not be afraid to sell it, tells me they are not your average bunch of guys. These guys basically sell anything and everything. King Cobra, ostriches, giraffes, and many other exotic animals. Over here, if you have high enough connections, you can basically do as you please.

10. Lori68

That's quite sad and I'd be more than happy to report them. The seedy side of the pet trade should not be tolerated

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

While I agree this sucks, it'd be a good idea to look into the local laws regarding this. It may also be a captive bred specimen and some laws may not apply, making it perfectly legal there. At least the high price tag should keep it out of the hands of novice collectors.

12. amanda swan

amanda swan Member

This isn't a komodo dragon its colors are too dim to be one. Komodo babes are similar to alligator babes having bright stripes and dots. Here is what an actual komodo looks like to the one this person saw. It does look similar but they are not the same type of lizard.

Attached Files:

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That is a tough one to say. I would highly doubt it's a komodo for the reason that why sell it in a pet store?
    If you have one it would fetch way more on the black market.

14. amanda swan

amanda swan Member

i
    dont own one i searched for pictures of one in a zoo

15. Yangliang

Sorry, I don't think I have made myself clear. This is an online store (illegal farm) not a high Street store (physical store one can walk into). Sorry for causing any misunderstanding.

The seller sells pretty much everything such as giraffes, ostrich, anaconda snakes, and just about every other protected animal on the planet.

I found his store online whilst searching for an iguana a few months ago. I also buy my iguana vitamins and calcium there.

I noticed this morning that he is selling a Gili Monster for 40,000. As far as I know, they are protected too.

I say "seller" as in one man, but I'm sure it's a huge chain of criminals, like a mafia. Very dangerous to mess with them.

16. Yangliang

17. amanda swan

amanda swan Member

well some one should do something about this i would but im a defenseless dork

18. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Oh, ok. Likely a Komodo then.
    Gilas aren't protected like Komodos are. A friend of mine breeds them in Toronto.

19. Yangliang

I found this online.

"Gila monsters are protected by every state they live in, and severe penalties await those who violate the law. It is illegal to kill, capture, pursue or in any way impede their activities. It is also illegal to sell, trade or barter Gila monsters.".

Gave me the impression they were in the same boat as Komodo.

20. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

While it might be possible to anonymously alert the authorities byt just sending or showing them the link, I don't blame you a bit for wanting to stay out of it. I'm not familiar enough with Chinese culture to say, but would this even be a priority for the local authorities if they knew? Assuming they don't already.