This Disappears When Logged In

Randall

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by poorMtnKids, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poorMtnKids

poorMtnKids Active Member

This is Randall. Named her because of Monsters Inc. I have had her for about 2 1/2 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Is that calcium sand in her cage?

3. poorMtnKids

Yes it is. Or at least the bag said so. She was not a fan of bark so we went to the sand to try it out and seems to like it better.

4. Moshpitrockchick

I would STRONGLY suggest that you remove it as quickly as possible. Toss it in the trash and never look back. Calcium sand causes impaction and halts digestion if they eat it. If you MUST use sand then washed play sand in the safest, but even that holds risks.
    Leopard Geckos in the wild do not live on sand, they live on hard packed earth.

Most people choose to use carpet, shelf liner, tile, or slate as they are non-particulate and much safer.

5. poorMtnKids

She has had calcium sand for 2 years. and the local exotic shop suggest it because if they do digest it it is better then normal sand because it will break up. I put her on just packed soft sand and she would not go to the bathroom on it. She started pooping on her hammock and leaves in her cage. When i put her on bark she would not eat. So i will research other options but calcium sand tends to be her favorite and keeps her happiest. I have wanted to try carpet so maybe we will try that.

6. Moshpitrockchick

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Lacey is right... Just step back and think about it. The calcisand is made of the same stuff that TUMS is. We take it to calm our stomachs down right? It works the same way when a reptile ingests it. It stops all activity in the stomach, so that means that the food is not getting digested.

We aren't saying this to jump on your back or anything, but because you have been given some bad advice. Looking at the pictures of your gecko we can tell that he is well cared for and you really love him, so we want to help you give him as long and healthy of a life as possible. I would also like to point out that many times when the pet stores suggest calci-sand it is generally because of two reasons. The person doesn't know any better, because that is how they were trained, and the pet store itself wants to push a product that they can sell and make money off of.

8. poorMtnKids

Okay cool, thanks I will research some other options.

9. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

By the way, welcome to the forums you two!

10. poorMtnKids

Thanks lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.