This Disappears When Logged In

Rambo (veiled Chameleon) Hates New Enclosure

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by DustinQ, Aug 25, 2012.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Major concern is the basking spot is at the top of the screen enclosure, Rambo however stays in the lower area in the denser live plants. Probably because he isn't comfortable with me being able to see him. So far I've been leading him on to a dowel rod and placing it on the top branches when he climbs onto it. He almost imediately retreats back into tthe cover of the bushes. I guess I would like suggestions to encourage him to stay in the in the upper region of the enclosure where the uvb rays will actually reach him. Thought about using a longer dowel so he doesn't see me.... Think that might work?

Secondary concern, since the foilage is so dense I can't tell if he is actually eating his crickets, worms andd dubias or if they're all hiding. I know that the crickets are finding a way to escape somehow. I keep waking up to them crawling on me, Girlfriend hasn't noticed yet but when she does, she'll freak. She doesn't understand why he needs to be upstairs. I read a few places that they aren't comfortable and will behave more agressively if other reptiles are visible to them?

Any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated as this is my first Chameleon.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What if you had the foliage more near the top where he can bask and feel comfortable doing so! Then he can go down to eat when he wants,

3. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

He has a lot of "faux" foilage up top, but it's not as dense as the real thing and I kept the top 6 inches bare intentionally as a fire precaution using a 160 watt mercury vapour bulb, couldn't achieve the basking temp with the 100 watt since is an open air enclosure.
    probably could put the plants on a stand, only I'm not sure what to build it out of? It needs to be sturdy enough to support the weight of the plants yet thin enough that he can fit his hands around to climb down :( ????

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

how long have you had him?
    A neat way I learned to feed my Chameleon was to place a fishbowl in the enclosure with his crickets or worms inside, they cannot escape the bowl and the chameleon can perch on the side and eat away.

In my open air enclosure I used zip ties to attach the faux leaves/vines all along the sides of the enclosure,giving the chameleon even more coverage and places to climb, I left the basking area in the center open,yet surrounded by leaves

5. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Thank you the fishbowl is a genius idea. Did you have to poke bigger holes through the screen to attach the zip ties?

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You can also use the little tie wrap things that come with cords and stuff. They are a lot smaller and easier to fit through. Can you put up photos of your enclosure and how are you measuring temps? If you feed him at the same time every day he'll figure it out and learn his routine and you can watch from far away.

One of the reasons he may be in the lower plants is because your basking spot may be too hot for him. Check it with a temp gun to make sure. They wont go for 100 because that's too hot for them. Veil chams can raise their own temps because of their darker coloring very well. Usually a basking in the upper 80s will be enough for them. If he stays low it's not just for security. Anything over 100watts in my opinion is too much. I would stay with a 75watt bulb

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

they make small zip ties that fit through the screen, or as suggested you can use the type of tie wraps that come on loaves of bread etc, they work as well but over time with misting they may rust and need replaced.

8. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Yeah I use tiny zip ties.

9. geckolover1

geckolover1 Member

why not just buy a larger live plant? the one i have reaches the top of the cage.

Attached Files:

10. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Are you certain? all the caresheets I've read said to keep it a basking temp of mid-90's. Do know where I can find a lower-watt mercury vapour bulb?

11. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I use a temp gun, (can't find it at the moment though) I left a digital thermometer in the basking spot for 20 minutes along with an analog. Ambient air temp is about 78 and the top basking level is 92 up to 105 at the very top right below the lamp.

Every time I try to insert an image it comes back with an error message?

12. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

2012-08-14_17-57-32_859.jpg 2012-08-20_13-55-19_740.jpg 2012-08-20_13-54-47_504.jpg 2012-08-20_15-04-34_3.jpg
    first picture of the enclosure is showing the main post that I carved and sanded, added ladder pegs for him to cling to easier than the girth of the whole log.
    the rest show my progress of adding vines and foilage

I've since move the enclosure higher, it was sitting on the floor but tried to give him more sense of security. Inside looks the same but he's on a 24" shelf.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012