This Disappears When Logged In

Raising Baby Leopard Tortoises

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Yvonne G, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

If you're interested in raising a baby leopard or sulcata with a smooth shell, then I have just the information you've been looking for.

Leopards and Sulcatas hatch out during the monsoon season. The ground is wet - soggy, and there is plenty of greenery growing for them to eat and to hide in. It's hot. It's humid! Yes, there may be a full grown wild leopard or sulcata with a bumpy shell, but mainly they grow smooth.

Before I got my Vision cage, I used to make a covered enclosure using aluminum foil and plastic sheeting. It worked ok, but was difficult to administer to the inside.

baby habitat 3-29-16 a.jpg baby habitat 3-29-16 b.jpg

During this time I was also using the Zoo Med Power Sun UVB light (100w). The babies were fairly smooth, but not as smooth as I would have liked.

Now I have a Vision Cage, and I really, really LOVE it! The downside is they're so expensive. But I'm saving my $$ from selling babies so I can buy another one.

vision cage.jpg
    Vision Cage a.jpg Vision Cage b.jpg

There's a drain at one end that drains off excess water into a bucket and I keep the orchid bark substrate quite wet. I'm now using a 10.0 tube type fluorescent UVB bulb instead of the desiccating Zoo Med bulb, and I have a radiant heat panel up on two bricks, making a cave for them to go into. The RHP is on a thermostat and is set at 83F degrees.

My partner Will (of Kapidolo Farms) and I are now selling healthy, SMOOTH leopard babies. I'm so very glad I learned about the humidity for raising babies.

Darkbird likes this.