This Disappears When Logged In

Rainbow Boa Hides All Day?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by sportwats, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportwats

sportwats Member

Hey guys my baby rainbow hides all day long, is that okay? She is only about 3 months old. Right now she is in shed so I understand while she is hiding, but even when she is not shedding it seems like she is never out from her caves. After I hold her I'll put her back in the tank and she heds straight for the hides. The humidity is good, and I think the temps are good too. During the day the warm side is in the low 80's and the cool is in the mid too high 70's. And at night the temps a little cooler but rarely get below 75. What do you guys think is it because she is young and still adapting to her surroundings?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I thought they were nocturnal?

3. sportwats

sportwats Member

well all day/night I usually go to bed kind of late unless she is having a party from like 1am till I wake up lol.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

They are nocturnal. they are also known to be distrustful... try keeping an eye out around the times that the lights would normally go off. See if it moves about then.

5. fire2225ems

just saw your post that you must have been typing as i was typing mine... What is the lighting situation? is the tank in a room that has bright light? is there a clear difference between "daytime" and "nighttime for the snake? you gotta remember, they don't have a clock to tell them that its nighttime... Also, how long have you had it for and what kind of set up do you have?

6. sportwats

sportwats Member

During the day I have just a 15 watt bulb on just for light purposes only, as well as my blinds open for indirect sunlight in the room. At Night I shut everything off so its pretty much pitch black in my room. Im gonna check tonight and see if shes movin around. I've only had her for about three or four months she is still a baby. She's in about a 35 gallon tank right now with hides on warm and cool side and a couple branches to climb on.

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

What are your temps/ humidity?

8. sportwats

sportwats Member

temps are in my first post. Humidity Is about 80-90% right now cuz she is shedding, but usually about 70-80%

9. fire2225ems

i don't know a lot about snakes so I don't know how big a 3-4 month old boa would be, but 35 gal sounds like a lot of space for what I would think is a small snake. She might just be feeling very small in a huge space. try making sure there are plenty of places for her to hide.

also make sure that the tank isn't directly in the sun from the window. You would be surprised at how hot things can get with the sun coming straight in...

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

There is nothing wrong with your snake or your set up. I owned 3 beautiful Brazilian Rainbow Boas that practically never showed themselves during the day. It's sad, because they are such gorgeous animals, but that's the reality.
    Babies will hide more than adults. You do not need to change the size of your tank, but you might provide different hiding places, including a moist hide, so that the snake doesn't have to choose between hiding and temperature.
    Also some BRBs like to soak when they are in shed, so you should provide a dish that she can't drown in, but could soak in if she wants to.
    As she gets bigger and more settled in after her shed, she'll come out more at night.
    Good luck!

11. nataliem

nataliem Member

It is my understanding, from the care sheets I have read, that babies do better in small enclosures. I think they recommend for snakes under 24", in a 20 gallon or smaller. They do tend to be shy and stress out if their surroundings are overwhelming to them and it's harder to regulate temperature that babies tend to be a lot more sensitive to than adults. I would google BRB's and see what you can find as far as care sheets are concerned and base your judgment on that... There's a lot of them and many say similar things. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.