This Disappears When Logged In

Quick Question

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by jamest0o0, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

Other than colors what are some differences between kingsnakes and milksnakes?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually milksnakes are kingsnakes. There is a slight difference in their teeth.

3. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Elite Member

oh really? I have an open 55g and I've just been considering all of the uses for it. I remember loving the tangerine milksnakes and albino cali kingsnakes.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

they are all closely related, and interbreed pretty easily. I have a hybrid, that is supposedly a cross between a Florida king, and a Honduran milk. Supposedly. I'll never know for sure without that genetic testing, and it just doesn't mean that much to me. I love him no matter who his parents are.

This is the little guy in question.

Attached Files:

5. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Cool facial coloration! Breed it to an albino, hypo or blizzard Cal-King and produce stunning Jurassics!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I might be misinformed, but I thought it was extremely rare that hybrids were even fertile?

7. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Beautiful snake! Its not a 100% fact that hybrids are infertile. In mammals they usually are (usually! not always!) but in reptiles its usually the oppisite. the F1 generation does usually have a high amount infertility in the clutch byt the offspring that hatch are usually larger, grow faster, have strong feeding responses, and a VERY willing to breed. its call hybrid vigor I believe, some one correct me if I'm wrong? But the hybrids are usually very fertile themselves and can even breed with each other, many hybrids have been breed to the F2 and even F4 generations. its also how you can get albino, anery, snow, and other morph in the hybrids. Only hybrid snakes I've heard about with fertility problems are the bateaters (reticulated python X burmese python) but I guess there is some one who offically breed to bateaters and managed to get 1 F2 out of the whole clutch, so even thats possible I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.