This Disappears When Logged In

Quick Question About My RES

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by tinytheturtle, Aug 12, 2009.

1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

For one turtle, yes, but you said you were considering picking up a 2nd. If that was the case, you would need two, 75 gallon bow fronts (or a 150 tank). They wouldn't need them this minute, because they are not that big, but eventually, yes.

The stock tanks are plain and black. You can decorate them, they sit on the floor.

This one is 100 gallons. 25"high x 52"long x 31" wide
    Rubbermaid100gallon_stock_tank_4242-Gray%5B1%5D.jpg

Attached Files:

2. tinytheturtle

tinytheturtle Well-Known Member

well for right now the "tank" you showed in ur post is not a possible soulution lol I have no way of putting it safely in my house(my little brother and sisiter(bro is not even a yr old) umm I will do the 75 gal. for now and then asap preferably when I get my own place lol I will do either a stock tank or the thing you showed :D thank you :) also can anyone answer about how long I should keep the turtles sep.??I mean petsmart just got him back from the vet with a clean bill of health soo....idk help plz need an answer asap

3. schlegelbagel

I'd keep them apart for 60 days. Not only is the new one weak, therefore fighting over food may be a problem, you aren't exactly sure what tests petsmart's vet actually did.

4. tinytheturtle

what do you think may be a common health issue I should look for? sorry I'm asking a lot and you prolly aren't exactly a turtle fan lol...also I would feed them individually anyway :D I like to be close to my animals lol I hand feed tiny XD

oh and I will prolly ask a ton of question like what tests they had done and take note of it when I'm at petsmart actually signing for the new guy :)

5. schlegelbagel

Definitely get a copy of all his vet bills. You are looking for parasites, eye issues, shell rot issues, fin issues... anything that seems out of the ordinary.

How big is he in comparison to your current turtle? Petsmart isn't allowed to sell anything under 3" and you don't want a small turtle in with a big one.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Aggression is another issue, and it will result in injuries if there is a significant size difference between the two turtles. Turtles are best kept solitary, and you will need to upgrade to a tank larger than 75 gallons, especially if you do plan on housing them together. RES can get BIG (the standard recommendation is about ten gallons for inch of shell length. Two RES will easily exceed 75 gallons. 250 gallons would be more suitable (which is why RES are really not such great pets. They are very hard to adequately house) just imagine the filter you'd need for THAT!

7. Jacqui

Jacqui Elite Member

How long to quarantine is as long as you can. There is no magical length of time, but the longer you can keep a new animal in isolation the better your chances are it will show signs of any ilness or parasite problem before you expose your current turtle to it. A month would be minimum, 6 months is better, and I like a year myself.

The Vet may have given him a clean bill of health, but the Vet was going by what he could see. The turtle may have something just getting started, but as of yet, not showing symtoms of it. Then you have the fact, he was put in with the other turtles (where he stopped eating). Each and everyone of them could have been bringing in something to the sick turtle. Being sick and weak, he is under more stress, so he is more likely to pick up anything that comes along. Add to it, are the workers being really anal about sanitary methods? Handwashing, sterilizing stuff between animals, ect..,

I am understanding you correctly, you plan to have this in the house. Create a raised bed enclosure for it, where the turtles can get out of the pool?

Those can be nice and this time of year they should soon be going on clearance. A nice advantage of them over the stock tanks is the ease of the turtle being able to climb out since the sides are not straight down. You also have the more natural shape.

However like you were told, a stock tank can give you more water volume for the same amount of space, if you go with the deeper ones. They are also usually cheaper.

I think here, the Rubbermaid type stock tanks are holding up better, then the preformed pools are. I have not yet worked with a stock tank buried, myself.

Key is to remember to watch what your water volume actually will be.

That is certainly something to worry about. Between how easy it would be for a child to drown in a turtle pool or have them playing run into or throw something at and crack the tank wide open. (My own kids did that before...thankfully it was a tank without a water turtle in it. ;)) Little kids can drown in so little water, even a mop bucket does the trick. Be very careful.

How long til you might be moving out?

I agree totally with this statement. It's also why so many end up in rescues (which are over run with them) and turned loose to cause problems in the wild. Yet just about every site I have ever been on, if somebody asks for a good starter water turtle, RES seem to be the most given response.

8. tinytheturtle

probably be moving out within a yr or so :D and yeah I will be doing what you described with the indoor pong I will prolly keep the 20 gallon and use it as the basking area they can climb up to via a ramp(cut the silicone and remove one of the short sides)

and there is a size issue I suppose :( my current turtle is going on 3 inches the possible adopted one is 6 inches..

9. schlegelbagel

I'm not sure they will ever be able to be housed together, at least not until they are adults.

10. tinytheturtle

drat that is what I was fearing...I'm just concerned about a sick or recovering RES going off to a shelter..but at the moment I cannot buy an additional aquarium...

11. schlegelbagel

Do you even have a quarantine aquarium? Because its not just about the tank, its about separate UVB lights, filters and eveything else he would need.

Check out Craigs list and yard sales for tanks. I have found so many used, cheap ones.

12. tinytheturtle

yes to the tank no to the extra uvb lights but ya extra heat lamp and the uvb bulb I have says good up to twenty inches I may put aquariums back to back
    and I will browse craigslist.

13. schlegelbagel

Its not like they will need a 150 gallon tank tomorrow. They will need time to grow. However if the new one is already 6 inches, you may want to just get the 75 gallon tank already.

14. tinytheturtle

yeah no doubt...lol if I can afford it I will prolly go as big as possible(within housing reason lol) I mean I can't have a "pond" in my room...but yeah I will look on craigslist or anywhere I can lol...hey you know anyone in illinois or st.louis with a big aquarium for sale? LOL

15. Jacqui

Jacqui Elite Member

How much money do you have in the budget for this new turtle?

Don't just look, put a wanted ad in and tell them it's for a rescued animal. I have been amazed at what I have saw given away in our local freecycle.

16. tinytheturtle

I actually did :D even before I saw ur comment lol I'm like sooo falling in love with a turtle...lol...but ya most def!!!! thank you you have been a huge help..and answered alot of ? ive had..put a lot at ease in my mind thnx :)

lol lemme correct my loud mouth rofl I posted on craigslist and am pending at freecycle :)

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can set up something like this:

8.13.09_002.jpg

I made it out of a plastic storage bin from wal*mart. Cheap, quick, etc. You'll need to upgrade eventually, but if it's going to be temporary, why spend tons of money on it?

Attached Files:

18. tinytheturtle

that's sweet!!! and yeah I could do that... :D plus this lady on facebook is giving me a wicked deal...a 75 gal. tank that's in her way for fifty bucks...I told her I'm taking in that sick turtle

there are still amazing people in the world!! lol

oh and the filter in the pic is the one I have lol...

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Be sure to test your tank outside first to be sure it holds water.

20. tinytheturtle

yeah I most def will she even has two to choose from :) she had them listed for 450$!!! I'm feeling blessed...seriously..