This Disappears When Logged In

Quick Question About My RES

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by tinytheturtle, Aug 12, 2009.

1. tinytheturtle

tinytheturtle Well-Known Member

ok I'm wanting to introduce a live plant into the aquarium it's a mainly water(obviously with my red eared slider lol)filled aquarium with the only real dry areas being a flat rock and a floating turtle dock(zoo med)...what would someone recommend?? I was thinkning kale but I'm wondering if there is a plant that is hardy and fast growing enough to not just get maimed and eaten quickly lol...any answers would be appreciated but also I have no clue what would be "toxic" or would harm said turtle...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If its mainly water you are going to have to go with an aquatic plant. Kale is not aquatic.

3. tinytheturtle

oh lol....I had thought it was sorry XD well umm what kind of aquatic plant would you suggest that is more inclined to survive? if not at least a little while?

also..lol was wondering what kind of fish could live with him that cleans the bottom(bottom feeder or just algae eater?) that would be smart or fast enough to not get eaten...or could I try ghost shrimp someone at petsmart told me they would be harder for my res to see an or catch and that they would help "clean" as well..

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would assume that most fish or shrimp would be called "dinner" eventually. I have never heard of a turtle with fish and had it turn out good, unless the fish is larger than the turtle.

Check out a pond store. Most aquatic plants are fine for them.

5. tinytheturtle

thanks! yeah I figure like you said less they r bigger they will be dinner eventually..lol an ok ya ill check a pond store :D so pretty much any plant(underwater) should be ok? :) cool ill prolly stick with a common water weed..lol or maybe some kind of water lily idk lol thnx :D

6. schlegelbagel

There is one that floats on top, I can't remember what its called. The shop will know.

7. tinytheturtle

oh and I have another question if you can answer it lol...umm I have a filtration system and all that good stuff but lately his water is starting to grow algae(hence my earlier question lol) and becoming foggy..I am increasing my # of water changes and the issue seems to still stay the same..help?

8. Jacqui

Jacqui Elite Member

With water plants most of my turtles end up eating or demolishing them rather quickly. To try to get a jump on the volume of plants they go thru, I have a small wading pool that I have several water hyacinths in to get them reproducing. They are way too expensive for me to keep buying. In the past, I also had a pool with water lettuce and in both I have the very little about two leaf floating plant (having a senior moment and forgetting the name). Aquarium plants like anacharis can also be feed.

I also feed them plant leaves such as the romaine, collards, ect.., Romaine seems to be the most liked, but of course it also has less food value. Slices of things like cucumber and squashes go over well too. Once more, these foods are often tore up and pieces left uneaten.

For fish, shrimp, snails, ect.., like was said earlier, expect them to at some point become food...meaning don't buy the expensive ones. Some turtles will be too lazy to catch the live fish and those fish become almost like companions to them. Of course once the fish die, the turtles once more seem to remember, "Oh yeah, those are food!".

In my experience, the RES are the worse for tearing up/eating the plants. My Asian and Sideneck pools for example the plants grow, thrive, reproduce, and bloom. Also older turtles are more into plants, while the hatchlings like the animal foods.

If you have tortoises, they too can eat the water plants.;)

9. Pepper

Pepper Active Member

Kinda OT but I jsut read on another forum that somone had snails in with his small water turtles and after a year the snail killed the turtle. He said the snail was smaller then the turtle but held the turtles foot to the bottom of the tank so it couldn't go up and get air. Poor thing...
    As far as algee goes you may need a bigger filter and there is stuff you can put in the water to help but I too am having a senior moment and cannot remember what its called...

10. tinytheturtle

well lol I don't see a snail holding a turtle down..not even my baby res lol but idk maybe a weird snail? o_O oh and yeah I like the idea of "breeding" plants in a sep. tank..and yes res..seemingly DEF mine..are dirty eaters lol...and since he is a juvenile ya he does like the protein heavy foods more but I supplement 99% of his diet with calcium and other vitamin rich "reptomin baby" pellets..lol and I do believe I will need o invest in another better filter possibly an exterior cannister one because I may be adopting a second RES from petsmart...that needs to be hand fed :( poor guy...but he is a beautiful turtle some amazing markings lol If I adopt I will most assuredly be putting pics up on my page haha..anyway thnx all

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Just about any plant you put in with your RES is gonna get trashed pretty quickly, unless you have a HUGE area, where the damage might be spread out.

A good fish for fighting algae is the Chinese Algae Eater - I have 2 in with my map turtle, and they are quite skittish - but there are places in the tank where they can go that he cannot. They keep his tank very clean, and seem to be mostly nocturnal - I only see rare glimpses of them. They come out when he sleeps. I think I paid $1.49 each for my Chinese Algae Eaters. Also, my turtle is very lazy, and does not eat his fish (I gave him 3 goldfish a year ago, and they have gotten fat, rather than getting eaten.) But you can't count on it. Any fish you put in there, might get eaten.

This may seem like a stupid question, but you are changing your filter media right? If not, that might explain the cloudy water...

Trivia:
    The water Hyacinths here were introduced to try to drain the everglades. they have taken over, and are now considered an invasive pest (about 1/3 of all plant species in Florida are non-native)

Try Magnum Canisters - I have one of those, and highly recommend them. They make a variety that hangs right on the tank, and can even attach directly to a siphon to help clean the gravel.

Best of luck with that, but you will need to house him separately from your other RES.

12. Jacqui

Jacqui Elite Member

I myself have given up having any water plant in with my water turtles inside because it doesn't appear worth the mess. The major exception is if I have a youngster. Those especially, I try to atleast keep duckweed in with them. Duckweed is the wee leafed floating plant I couldn't think of yesterday. :eek:

Sorta going off subject a little, but have you thought about feeding him in a separate container? Especially, if your planning on adding another one to the mix (after it's quarantine time)? Why does the turtle you are maybe getting need to be hand fed?

I would give the Chinese Algae Eaters a try, Sounds like they might be what your looking for, at the least you might be giving your turtle a new variety of live food to try.

Dragoness, very interesting about the Hyacinth. Do they allow folks to use them in their fish/turtle pools? Just wondering, because so many places would make an invasive weed like that illegal. Too bad the state doesn't get into the business of selling and shipping them. Those things are expensive to buy around here and unfortunately the first frost comes along and kills mine off every year.:rolleyes:

13. schlegelbagel

for some reason I totally don't believe this story.

What is your filtration set up now? you may need an upgraded filter. And I forget, to you have a tank or an outdoor pond? If tank, how big?

14. tinytheturtle

Well first I have a tank, a 20 gallon I have filled to about 15 gallons lol.
    I have a filter for 40 gallons..I change the filter monthly..and rinse it if its too dirty between changings.
    The RES I'm possibly adopting had an eye infection and a severe vitamin A def.(from the people petsmart bought it from!!!!) anyway..they have spent there budgeted allowed "limit" on the said turtle.. :,( and well he has been given a clean bill of health after shots etc...poor guy.

Anyway he was so spoiled for hand feeding that they didn't notice when they put him back in the tank with the others in the store that he wasn't eating.
    He is now weak and they are not wanting to have to feed him by hand...so I offered to adopt(heck a free RES that is so beautiful and "healthy"...I can deal with recovery time..)
    I do plan on investing in(hopefully sooner rather than latter) a 75 gallon bow front tank :D for now its just the 20...thank you I will try the chinese algae eaters!! :D that's the thing i've been hoping to hear lol skittish sounds good plus "tiny" is pretty lazy lol.
    I had goldfish too..they just got fat lol..I will certainly look at magnum canisters btw and yeah I will probably "quarantine" the new guy just to be safe :)

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

"Probably" will not do it! If you don't quarantine, you risk introducing who knows what in with your other turtle! Then you have 2 sick turtles on your hands!

16. schlegelbagel

FIRST PROBLEM. This tank is too small. How big is your turtle. The MINIMUM size for a RES is 10 gallons of water per inch of shell, so unless your turtle is 2" big, which it shouldn't be, then your tank is already over crowded. THIS is why your water is not doing well.

RES need lots of space and lots of filtration. If you have two turtles, you need to double the space. Lots of people use rubbermaid stock tanks. You can find one at farm stores at 110 gallons for about $65.

RES max out in size around 8 inches. This means you need at least an 80 gallon tank MINIMUM.

Most people don't realize this.

17. tinytheturtle

How long should I quarantine for? and what "signs" of illness do you think this turtle may have?
    I imagine it should be healthy seeing how it has literally just come back from the vet with a clean bill of health. Also yes I found tiny as a hatchling took him to a vet and got him checked and a dewormer lol
    He IS roughly two inches wide and long.and I was thinkning of going to my local LOWES and getting one of the "in ground" ponds and setting up the enclosure in it..how would that sound?

I do realize the specs of a RES ive researched my butt off before I even considered this lol..

18. schlegelbagel

It sounds good, but they are a ton of money for the space you get in them. Hence why I suggested a stock tank.

19. tinytheturtle

odds are though I will be placing the enclosure in my room so would a 75 gallon bowfront be fine??

20. Pepper

Pepper Active Member

Schlegelbagel- You don't have to believe the snail story. Me personally - I think that it could be possible. I have had some pretty aggressive snails before. I wouldn't have put it past one of them go grab a foot of a very small turtle and press it against the bottom of a tank until it drowned. The turtle the guy had was only 2 1/2 inches and the snail was about 1 1/2 inches. But like I said no one has to believe it - I'm sure it doesn't happen a lot and its probably nothing to worry about. I just wanted to let everyone know what I had heard that's all.

I agree a stock tank makes a great indoor set up or a custom built plexiglass tank.