This Disappears When Logged In

Questions on Exercise for Milk Snakes

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by kittirain, Aug 8, 2014.

1. kittirain

kittirain Member

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of getting a milk snake. I already have two corn snakes so I do know about general snake care ^^ I'm just curious... I have a large patch of grass in front of my house that I put my corn snakes on to exercise, I do let them roam somewhat freely, but they are supervised at all times. Would I be able to do the same with the milk snake? Or would it just panic the snake?

If I can put it out on the grass, would I be able to do it at the same time as the corns, or would I have to keep them separate (obviously I will not be housing them together, I'm just wondering if taking them out at the same time is a risk to the snakes as they might not get along)

Any other tips about keeping milk snakes is also very welcome!! =^.^=

2. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I think it would be the same with a milk snake as the corns. You will know if your snake is panicked - quick movements to hide, aggressiveness, hyper-alertness, etc. In this case, you could hold your snake outside and let him/her crawl on you. You could ease your snake gradually onto the lawn. My blue-tongue skink was panicked outside at first, so I went through this in acclimating him to the outdoors, and he now does well. He did not recognize me outdoors at first and perceived me as a predator, I think. He'd open his mouth and hiss, so I did not put him on the ground for a good long time, and just held him. Gradually, I put him down near me, talking to him the whole time. He now loves to explore. I wouldn't mix species outdoors. You could maybe put the snakes far apart, but you'd have to keep an eye on them all (not easy).

3. kittirain

kittirain Member

Thank you so much!

I shall definitely keep them separate while I am easing the new snake into being outside.
    I often have my friend with me while the snakes are outside, so she could be with the two corns (who both love her) while I'm with the milk snake, but if she's not there I'll keep them separate.

Thank you for replying!

4. lisas

lisas Elite Member

You're welcome. I watch a bearded dragon, the skink, and my corn snake outside at the same time. I keep carriers nearby in case it gets to be too much. The corn snake is always a good distance away from the lizards (who co-exist very well, at least in open spaces). The corn snake likes to climb (lawn chair), so that keeps her busy and easier to watch. I think the sun, fresh air and exercise are great for them.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Putting your milksnake and cornsnake close together is asking for trouble! In the wild milksnakes will eat other snakes.

6. kittirain

kittirain Member

Okay I shall keep them completely separate. Thank you!