This Disappears When Logged In

Questions About Rosy Boas

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by GumDrops, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GumDrops

GumDrops Active Member

Hi, all. I've been looking around the web, and I came across the Rosy Boa. I read it is supposedly one ofthe smallest types of Boas, and I was wondering if any of you Rosy Boa owners could answer a few of my questions? Please and thank you! =]

1) How big does the average adult get to be (length, weight)?
    2) Will they bite?
    3) What types of prey do adults eat?
    4) How big of an enclosure (for adults) do they need?
    5) Can anyone give me a link to a caresheet (that provides proper care information)?

Again, thanks.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Hello! I have owned my Rosy boa since 2004. They are great snakes, I love mine.

1.) Not sure on the weight, but my male is over 7 years old and he is only about 2 1/2-3 feet. They are one of the smallest types of boas. 4 foot is a large one for them.

2.) They usually are docile snakes but can bite if they are startled. Like all snakes, you want to give them about a week to settle in to their new surroundings. Sometimes when they are in a high traffic area (like a living room) they can be a little more on the nippy side because they can get nervous. I've never had a problem with mine striking or biting, but I keep my snakes in my bedroom and its not very high traffic.

3.) My Rosy takes frozen/thawed adult mice.

4.) A 20 gallon long enclosure will be fine for them for life.

I had written up a caresheet for HC but Rich has yet to post it. Generally, they do not like high humidity so water should only be offered to them a couple days a week. I usually give mine his water dish over the weekend because that's when I feed. They like warmer environments so between 80 and 84 degrees on the hot side of their tank would be great.

Another thing I've noticed is that the adults tend to go off of food for the winter. Mine has done this every year since '04 when I got him. He will go off of food between July-August until February-March. When I first got him he was eating every week, though now he's quite content to eat every 2 weeks or so.

They also like to burrow. I use Carefresh for my enclosure and he always digs through it. They aren't the most active of snakes, they're more content to just sit around. Mine will usually sit on my lap when he's not cruising around on the floor.

Hope this has helped you. Rosy boas come in a few different varieties but all of them are great! :D

4. RockRatt

RockRatt Member

1)Coastal and Arizona Rosys tend to be the larger of the species with size averaging about 36-40 inches typically. Some have been known to reach about 48 inches on RARE occasions. LocalityRosys.com

2) Captive Bred baby Rosys tend to be a little nippy. Most grow out of this though and are very docile.

3) Adults usually feed on large mice or sub-adult rats (Check out the husbandry page linked below)

4) A 20 Gallon Long would suit them into their adulthood.

5) LocalityRosys.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.