This Disappears When Logged In

Questions About My Rat, Please Advise

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by poomwah, Jan 6, 2014.

1. poomwah

poomwah Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I was hoping someone could help me with my rat snake, George.
    I bought George almost six months ago, July 12, 2013. I purchased him as a white sided black rat snake. But, from the pictures I've seen of them online, their patterns are quite a bit bolder than his. Someone has said he is not a white sided black rat but is a white sided texas rat. Is there a way to tell the difference?
    Also, I'm a week shy of having him for six months and he has not shed at all since I've had him. I don't know how old he is (or if he's even a HE for that matter, lol), but he is almost a meter long and weighs 201 grams.
    I've been out of snake keeping for a while, but I don't remember my snakes going that long without shedding. Should I be concerned?
    He's active, alert, inquisitive, strong for his size. His temps are well within the suggested range, both in the warm end, and the cool end. His appetite is incredibly healthy.
    I feed him two rat pinkies every week. Should I alter the amount and/or frequency of his feeding? I want to make sure I'm giving him plenty to eat, but I don't want to power feed him either.
    Thank you everbody :]

- - - Updated - - -

20131221_100648_zps62d6f1ec.jpg

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I can't tell you what kind you have but I will say it needs more food. Pinkies are much too small for a snake that size. It should be taking small to medium rats every 7-10 days or so. Do you have anything for thickness comparison? Unless its really thin like an amazon I would dare say its a bit thin. Even my chondros weigh more at that length. Maybe I'm reading something wrong but that's my advice based on what you posted.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I agree with Joey. Im not a Colubrid guy, so I could be wrong, but I think you need to up the prey size to something bigger. Thats probably why he hasn't shed, he doesn't have enough of a calorie surplus to grow. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The feeders should be as big around as the snake's body at its widest point.

5. poomwah

thanks everyone, I started out with rat fuzzies that were about the size of his body, once a week, did this for several months. Then the place I get my rodents from didn't have the right size and I wound up with rat fuzzies that were just a little bigger than the widest part of his body, I wasn't sure about giving him something that big. So I switched him to rat pinkies that were the same size as his body, two a week.
    He has definitely grown quite a bit in the last six months.
    Here is a picture of him from last night.

20140106_201107_zpshhngwlrf.jpg

Here is a picture of him tonight with the deli cup he came home in.

20140107_201232_zpswxzornd7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  6. poomwah

oh my god, I've had him six months last thursday, and yesterday his eyes finally started to cloud!!!
    he's FINALLY going to shed.
    I know some say he hasn't been fed enough to grow, but he has definitely grown quite a bit, more than i thought was possible without shedding.
    I'm not sure what happened to the pics above, but here is a pic of him in the cup he came home in, just as a size comparison
    20140107_201232_zpsbzecufyt.jpg