This Disappears When Logged In

Questions About My Beardie

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by reptilover15, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptilover15

reptilover15 Active Member

hey guys quick question

I have a 48x20x20 (WxLxH) does anybody have an idea how big my Saphira could grow up to be in her home?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I believe you have been listening to an old wives tale! The nonsense about an animal only growing to the size of its enclosure is just that,..nonsense.
    With proper care a lizard will grow to its adult size,... regardless of the size of the enclosure.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

And that's roughly a 75 gallon tank, so that's a good size for an adult beardie :)

4. Orca

Orca Elite Member

And every dragon is going to be different too, regardless of the enclosure size. My female is small at about 18" and my male is closer to 24". But my friend's female is bigger than both of my dragons. It depends on a variety of factors such as genes, diet, etc.

5. reptilover15

Oh, okay thanks guys and Liz its actually an 85 gallon tank I'll try to upload some pics of both my beardie tank and my anole tank when I get the chance.

6. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

That tank sounds perfect. I had my big boy in a 90 gallon and he was loving the space. Of course he also got to come out for free-range time ;)

7. reptilover15

yea I bring her outside with one of those harness sometimes and watch walk around my backyard

8. musicman

musicman Member

Good size for your beardie and it will grow to full adult size. I have mine since Jan. 09 and he is about 17 inches. I have found they are fast growers. Just keep feeding a variety of foods and you'll be surprised how fast she will grow. Don't forget the veggies.

9. reptilover15

yea I picked up some canned fruit the other day red banana and papaya havent tried it yet wanted to ask the experts

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Canned? What is it packed in? If it has sugar or high fructose corn syrup you should probably just eat it yourself and get your dragon something fresh. :)
    I've used organic babyfood as a garnish before, it's messy but they usually like it if you want to use a non-fresh veggie. I've found sweet potato baby food in resealable containers with no preservatives, the lizards wear as much of eat as they eat.

11. reptilover15

I was thinking about spoon feeding.

12. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would hesitate to do that just based on the way beardies stuff their faces, he may damage his mouth by being greedy. I suppose you could try a rubber coated baby spoon.

13. reptilover15

o another question would that tank be bug enough for two beardies or not

14. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

No. It would not. Also, Bearded Dragons are solitary creatures, and do best housed alone. The only reason to house to together is for breeding purposes, and even then I recommend housing them separately for most of the time.

15. reptilover15

ok thanks drache dame I will purchase a new tank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.