This Disappears When Logged In

Question: Flexwatt??

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Renouji, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

So I'm going to use flex watt in my BP tanks and I was wondering

A) Anyone know a reputable site to buy flexwatt from that ships to the US?
    B) if my tank is 1440 square inches (48"x30") of flooring how much of the floor should be covered with flexwatt? estimated 960 square inches based on another post where the poster said 2/3 of the tank.

I left a 3" gap between the floor of the tank and the floor of the room, was gonna cut a hole in the floor of the tank and router a ledge for a 28"x35" sheet of glass to sit on top of and attach the flex watt to the glass
    C) Will this be fine? and how would I attach the flexwatt to the underside of the glass? or should I just attache it directly to the inside bottom of the tank like I see in peoples photos on google?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

A. Big apple herps and lllreptiles sells flexwatt but there should be cheaper places.
    B. yes 2/3rds of the floor should be heated.
    C. DO NOT USE GLASS!!! The glass when heated can shatter if it isn't the right kind of glass. Instead use tile and you can silicone the tile pieces together so that it is basically one piece and nothing falls down under the tank.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Reptile basics sells the flexwatt, connectors and what not. That's where I get mine.

4. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I buy flexwatt from bean farm. i think the rule fur heat mat placement is it should cover half of the floor area of the enclosure. By tanks do your mean a glass aquarium? If so you could just attach the tape to whatever the tank its sitting on, just make sure tip elevate it slightly off the heat tape.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

No, I am building a custom made tank with 3/4 plywood as the base. as I stated earlier I am leaving 3" of space beneath the tank and am gonna cut a hole in the floor so the excess heat can get below the tank and escape.