This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Uv Bulb Placement

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Dan01, Dec 15, 2015.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you put a few closeup photos of the tops and how the screen`s fixed in place?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, can you take a closeup photo of how the screen is attached?
    My idea was to measure the top and have a piece of plywood cut to size and replace the whole screen, you can have it in two pieces joined together with hinges so you could open one side at a time rather than lifting the whole top.

3. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Does the picture alter anything you had thought? Do you have anymore suggestions or would you just suggest that I go onto removing the screen and putting in the plywood?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would say it`s extremely important for the top to be covered as completely as possible as soon as possible. If you get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and replace the screen it will benefit the dragon greatly.
    As already suggested, you can have it in two halves for easier access (fix the tube and basking bulb close together on one half)...
    I`ll expect a photo of the completed top this time tomorrow your time (saturday january 9th, 2016)! ;)
    P.S. You might also replace the newspaper with some "real" substrate...

6. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

When you say that it the lights should be on one half, how would you suggest that they be suspended without setting on screen? My light is almost as long as the entire cage and is pushed to one side normally. I also had and have foil over the whole top, although I moved it for the purpose of the picture... I don't know if the top will be done by then.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For just covering the top 3/4 inch plywood is a bit of an overkill. You can do the same thing with 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I would remove all the screen and then silicon the wood (or even acrylic) to the frame of the top, leaving a space that is exactly the size or just a bit smaller than the outer edge of the lamp reflector. That way you can affix the lamp to the wood. I would also suggest creating a higher basking area directly under the lamp. You want the lizard to get 6-7 inches from the bulb.

8. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

That is the UV lamp, right?

9. Merlin

Yes. A fluorescent UVB tube is only effective at about that distance. And the UVB is stronger in the center of the tube than near the ends.

10. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I have some dirt I plan on using for that, but should I add some sand to the mixture? If so, at what proportions? I do plan on baking it.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, add some playsand, a ratio of approx 70% soil to 30% sand, tamp it well down.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Merlin, the reason I advised 3/4 inch ply for the top is so the batten for the UVB tube can be screwed in place firmly (plus the ceramic bulb fixture, although that could be loosely hung), 1/8 to 1/4 thick is not enough for the screws to hold (I suppose 1/2inch might do).

13. Merlin

My suggestion was based on the idea of the reflector still sitting on top of the enclosure, not hanging inside. For inside you could still do it with thinner just using bolts and nuts instead of a simple wood screw.