This Disappears When Logged In

Question about sand as substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by otaku_femme, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku_femme

otaku_femme Member

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in awhile (I made my first post a couple weeks ago, but it seems to have disappeared in the site crash. ^_^) Anyway, for anyone who doesn't remember me, I'm Erin, and I'm researching before I buy my first beardie.

I've been thinking about what kind of substrate to use when the beardie gets older. I plan on using paper towels while it's young, but after that I'm not sure. I like the idea of using sand, because it's aesthetically pleasing and (from what I hear) easy to clean. But, I've read a lot of sites that say sand causes impaction. On the other hand, I've seen other sites where people say sand is just fine.

So, my question is, is impaction only really a risk if you feed your dragon crickets in its tank? In other words, if there is a separate feeding tank, is impaction as much of a concern? Do dragons ever try eating their substrate for the heck of it?

If there is a chance the beardie will eat the sand, I won't use it. I may look into the non-adhesive shelf-liner instead.

Thanks!

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

There is always a concern of impactation with sand, regardless what the petstore people tell you, none are digestable. The only way to guarantee no impactation is to not use it. The chances might not be high but no chance is best as far as I'm concerned.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Repticarpet is my substrate of choice. Get 2 pieces per enclosure for easy cleaning.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Same here Jay,,,,,,clean 1 use the other, doesn't get any easier

5. otaku_femme

otaku_femme Member

How often do you clean them then? I imagine the dragon poops every day...so do you clean them every day?

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I usually spot clean with a tissue when I feed them and disinfect weekly with a weak bleach solution.

7. venus

venus Founding Member

You will get numerous opinions and experiences regarding sand. I have always used sand and have not had any problems. I make sure it is sifted before I put the beardies in and clean it 2x per week. I also do not feed my beardies inside there enclosure other than veggies in a dish. :)

8. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

I use non adhesive shelf liner in my cages, its easy to clean and it looks nice
    i got palm tree pattern :D

Attached Files:

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

LOL love it Jade! :p Esp the little flag over the hide :D

I too use sand (children's play sand), and have had no problems to date. We used to use calci-sand, but after being educated to the fact that it was not 100% digestable, we swapped to finer and cheaper play sand. You can even get it in different colours!! Right now we have pink :p (see pic).

However, as Ken pointed out, there is risk of impaction - as there is with any particle substrate. If you want to completely avoid the small risk then you could go for newspaper, paper towels, carpet, lino, repti-grass.. there are loads of options out there. It's your call. :)

Attached Files:

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use newspaper myself. And I have learned that you can tub train a beardie just like you do iguanas. I just run a bit of water in the bathroom sink and put him in. After a bit of initial splashing around he lifts his tail does his business and down the drain it goes! Just be sure to disinfect the sink.

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Is it wise to have an adult Beardie all alone in a huge tank? Or will it stress out?
    Do they need the companionship of another Beardie?
    I'm trying to get over my cricket hating 'cause I want a BD so bad but I need to do more research on them before I decide. Besides...I need to know which tank to put it in :p
    Thanks! Jem

PS sorry for the thread jumpin'

12. venus

venus Founding Member

They dont get stressed out being alone unless they have always been in a tank with someone. you can keep one or two together. Never 2 males and only a male and female if you plan on breeding. You can however keep 2 females together.

13. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I don't do the breeding thing...I figure there are enough animals in the world without homes and I don't want to add to the problem. If it happens on accident, then that's my fault, but I wouldn't breed on purpose....just my opinion. I leave the breeding to the pros.
    So how many females will be comfortable in a huge cage? I'm talking 8 ft long, 3 ft deep and 3 ft high... That's just the approx size of the enclosures being made right now. Are they a sociable creature? Do they NEED companionship to thrive? As of right now, I only want one BD...not a whole colony! lol

14. venus

venus Founding Member

Hey Rach, where did you get that pink sand...It is so pretty.

15. venus

venus Founding Member

They do not need companionship to thrive, they are perfectly happy by themselves, but I do warn you, they are highly addictive and you cant just stop at one.

16. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I kinda figured that I'd be addicted once I got one! lol The cricket noise isn't seeming as bad now that I've seen your beautiful babies Venus! :)

About those Repti-carpets...can you just throw them in the washer to clean them or how else do you clean them?
    If you have them on sand...do you just clean it daily like a litter box for cats and then just dump all the sand once a week and replace it?

I need to do more homework on these I see! ;)
    heehee Jem

17. venus

venus Founding Member

No sure about repti-carpet, but I know someone else could answer that. I spot clean the sand daily and do a through sift every weekend. I do a sand change about every 3 mths.

18. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Sounds good to me..... :)
    WHY OH WHY are you tempting me so, Venus?? LOL ;)

19. otaku_femme

otaku_femme Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've decided play it safe and get the non-adhesive shelf liner. I bought some and put it in the tank and it actually looks much nicer than I thought it would.

Now I just need a beardie... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.